Jacob
Jacob, Ford Dealer Technician
Experience:  Ase master certified with advanced engine specialist certification.
425254

98 Ford F-150: tune..firing order..the cylinder and the spark plugs

I got my wires crossed, while doing a tune-up. How does the firing order numbers fall on both, the cylinder and the spark plugs, on '98 Ford F-150 4.2L engine? The firing order is: 142536.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.

Here you go. Let me know if you need more help.

graphic

Jacob, Ford Dealer Technician
Experience: Ase master certified with advanced engine specialist certification.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need to know how does the wires match up when the firing order reads 142536?
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.
I have labeled the picture. Cylinder number one is the front passenger side as shown. The wire numbers should be printed on the top of the coil. Just run plug wire 1 to cylinder number 1. Wire number 2 to cylinder 2 and so forth. Each connection on the coil should have a number printed next to it on a sticker. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is significance of firing order:142536 ?
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.

That is just the order in which the computer fires the spark plugs. It has nothing to do with how you connect the wires.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wired it accordingly, my truck fires up and cuts right off!?
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.
Ok. What other repairs have you done. Did you replace anything else when you did the tune up. Was this problem happening before you did the tune up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i had 2 catayltic converters changed and the spark plugs
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.
Here are some things to try. Try giving the vehicle and little gas and see if it stays running. Also i need to know if this problem was happening before the converters and plugs were changed. If not did the problem start as soon as the plugs and converters were changed. The next step you need to do is check for fuel pressure. On the fuel rail where the injectors attatch there is a small plastic cap remove the cap. Under that there is valve stem that looks like a tire valve stem. Push the valve and bleed off any pressure. Then while the valve is down have someone turn the key on and see if you get pressure. In order to get a accurate reading you will need a fuel pressure gauge. But this will be a start. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My truck was fine after I changed the converters. After the tune-up, it wasn't the same. It never idolled.
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.

Ok Check your fuel pressure and try holding the gas pedal down a little bit and see if it will stay running. Also go back over the engine and make sure you got all the vaccum lines and wiring reconnected. Will the engine stay running if you rev it up?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The engine will run "rough", when reved-up. There's a "hissing" noise. My dad suspects a vacuum leak, but we can't find anything loose.
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.

That what i needed to know. Yes you definately have a vaccum leak. Have someone rev the engine up to keep it running. Listen to the hiss and just pull on the vaccum lines tell you get it to change. You just have to look for it tell you find it. It is there. One of the lines my be dry rotted. It has to be a fairly large leak. Check the brake booster and make sure that vaccum line was not taken off. You can try spraying some carb cleaner around untill the engine revs up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My truck won't turn over at all, using the firing order in which U gave me on the diagram. I've shuffle around the order, and got better results, but not quite, the answer. -Still can't find that "hissing". -Still puzzled!
Expert:  Jacob replied 7 years ago.
I am not sure what to tell you at this point. Without seing the truck it is hard. I am sure the hissing noise is the problem. You have a massive vaccum leak somewhere. I don't know what else i can tell you. I am going to opt out and see if anyone else has a idea.