Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel

What is the body control module ( in ford windstar ...

Customer Question

What is the body control module ( in ford windstar 2003) what does it control. note all the interior lights and the tail light group does not work, all fuses have been checked and changed without help the gas gage does not register and the open door light remains on on the dash group
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

hello there,

There are 2 body control modules, a front [fem][under drivers side dash] and a rear [rem][right rear quarter trim behind jack tools] The rear is subject to water intrusion if the quarter trim windows are left open in the rain..It sounds like most of your problems are related to the rear unit. Let me know if you need more help, you can try drying out this module if its a water concern, if it smells burnt, it probably won't work and will need to be replaced.

It's really necessary to have a expensive computer scan tool to diagnose these problems, all the pinpoint tests are wrote that way. Here is a list of what each module controls.

Principles of Operation

The Windstar's electronic functions are divided into zones. The front electronic module (FEM) controls the front portion of the vehicle and the rear electronic module (REM) controls the rear portion of the vehicle. These systems rely heavily on the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network in order to transmit and receive signals.

The FEM controls the following systems:

• wiper, washer (front and rear)
  • warning chime
  • accessory delay
  • switched system power (relay 1 and 2 of 4 relays)
  • driver one-touch power window
  • front blower motor relay
  • front parking lamps
  • cornering lamps
  • front headlamps
  • front turn signal lamps
  • front door locks

Inspection and Verification

1. Verify the customer concern by operating the system.
  1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart
Electrical
Battery junction box (BJB) fuse 2 (10A)
Central junction box (CJB) fuse 14 (10A)
Wiring harness
Connector(s)
Circuitry

1. If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
  • check that the program card is correctly installed.
  • check the connections to the vehicle.
  • check the ignition switch position.
  1. If diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
  1. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
  • CKT914, CKT915 or CKT70 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to Section 418-00.
  • NO RESPONSE/NOT EQUIP for FEM, go to pinpoint Test A.
  • SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out self-test diagnostics for the FEM.
  1. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.
  1. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, refer to the appropriate section of the Workshop Manual to continue diagnostics.

Principles of Operation

NOTE: Note: Upon installation of a new rear electronic module (REM), the module must be reconfigured. Refer to Section 418-01.

The REM controls the following systems:

• switched system power (relay 3 and 4)
  • rear window defrost relay
  • auxiliary climate control
  • electronic day/night rear view mirror
  • overhead interior lighting
  • sliding door and liftgate power locks
  • fuel sender signal transmission
  • rear park lamps
  • brake lamps (including high-mount stoplamp)
  • backup lamps
  • rear turn signals

Inspection and Verification

Visual Inspection Chart
Electrical
Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
  • 8 (20A)
  • 11 (10A)
Wiring harness
Connector(s)
Circuitry