Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Ford focus zx3: the fuel filter located

Customer Question

were is the fuel filter located on a 01' ford focus zx3 and how do you replace it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.

i there! it is located in the back by the fuel tank in line. Ford uses several different types of clips to hold it in place.Here are some of the types.Hope this helps!Thanks

Spring Lock Coupling

See Figure 1

1. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.

Remove the retaining clip from the spring lock coupling by hand only. Do not use any sharp tool or screwdriver as it may damage the spring lock coupling.

1. Twist the fitting to free it from any adhesion at the O-ring seals.

2. Fit Spring Lock Coupling Tool D87L-9280-A/B or equivalent to the coupling.

3. Close the tool and push it into the open side of the cage to expand garter spring and release the female fitting.

4. After the garter spring is expanded, pull the fittings apart.

5. Remove the tool from the disconnected coupling.

To install:

1. Clean all dirt from both pieces of the coupling.

2. Replace the O-rings and garter springs as necessary.

1. Lubricate the male fitting, the O-rings and the inside of the female fitting with clean engine oil.

2. Fit the female fitting to the male fitting and push until the garter spring snaps over the flared end of the female fitting.

3. Pull on the fitting to make sure it is properly connected and visually inspect the garter spring to make sure it is over the flared end of the female fitting

Some models require the large black clip to be installed on the supply side fuel line and the small gray clip to be installed on the return side.

1. Place the retaining clip over the spring lock coupling. Firmly push the clip onto the coupling making sure the horseshoe portion of the clip is over the coupling. Do not install the clip over the rubber fuel lines.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Connect and disconnect spring lock couplings as shown

Push Connect Fittings

See Figure 2

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Exploded view of a push connect fitting assembly

2. Clean all dirt from the internal potion of the fitting.

1. Bend the shipping tab down so that it will clear the body by bending the clips legs 1/8 inch (3.2mm) apart to disengage the body and pushing the legs into the fitting.

2. Lightly pull the clip from the triangular end and work it free of the tube and fitting.

3. Grasp the fitting and hose, then with a slight twisting motion, separate it from the component.

To install:

1. Inspect the clip for damage and replace as necessary.

2. Install a new clip as follows:

1. Insert the clip into any two adjacent openings with the triangular portion facing away from the fitting opening.

2. Install the clip fully to engage the body (legs of the clip locked on the outside of the body).

3. Wipe the tube end of the fitting with a clean rag , inspect the inside of the fitting for dirt or damage and lubricate it with engine oil.

4. Install the fitting into place, align the fitting and tube axial, then push the fitting onto the tube end.

5. When the fitting fully engages an audible click will be heard. Pull on the fitting to make sure it is properly fastened.