stefano, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an auto mechanic for 15 years, 12 years with Ford. ASE Master and Ford certified.

1996 Ford Explorer: ABS light came..There are 169,000 miles on truck

1996 Ford Explorer. ABS light came on yesterday and will not go off. There are 169,000 miles on truck. It has new rotors, front and rear brake pads and shoes. What's going on?????
Hello. The ABS system is separate from the mechanical brake system, it just monitors the wheel speed, and actuates the calipers when skidding ,not the thickness of the pads and rotors. The most likely cause for your ABS light is a bad rear speed sensor, which is mounted on top of the rear end. You cannot know for sure until the computer is scanned for codes. The other causes can range from other speed sensors, the computer, and all associated wiring.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So, this should not affect how my new brakes work then, correct???
Hello. When the ABS light stays on, your brakes will function normally, except the anti-lock control will not work. Your brakes will lock up if you jam on them. If your red brake light is on then you have a leak and the fluid is low, if this is the case then you need to have this checked out, for safety reasons.