Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Replace a slave and master cylinder in a 1989 ford ranger manual 4.

Customer Question

how do you replace a slave and master cylinder in a 1989 ford ranger manual 4.0 engine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 years ago.

Hi there!Here is the clutch master procedure:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect the clutch master cylinder pushrod from the clutch pedal.

3. Remove the switch from the master cylinder assembly, if equipped.

4. Remove the screw retaining the fluid reservoir to the cowl access cover.

5. Disconnect the tube from the slave cylinder and plug both openings.

6. Remove the bolts retaining the clutch master cylinder to the dash panel and remove the clutch master cylinder assembly.

To install:

1. Install the pushrod through the hole in the engine compartment. Make certain it is located on the correct side of the clutch pedal. Place the master cylinder assembly in position and install the retaining bolts. Tighten to 8-2 ft. lbs. (1-16Nm).

2. Insert the coupling end into the slave cylinder and install the tube into the clips.

3. Fit the reservoir on the cowl access cover and install the retaining screws.

4. Replace the retainer bushing in the clutch master cylinder pushrod if worn or damaged. Install the retainer and pushrod on the clutch pedal pin. Make certain the bushing is fitted correctly with the flange of the bushing against the pedal blade.

5. Install the switch.

6. Bleed the system.

7. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

8. Here is the slave cylinder and bleeding procedures.Hope this helps!Thanks

9.  

1986-90 Models

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 1: Slave cylinder found on 1986-90 models

2. Disconnect the coupling at the transmission, using the clutch coupling removal tool T88T-70522-A or equivalent. Slide the white plastic sleeve toward the slave cylinder while applying a slight tug on the tube.

3. Remove the transmission assembly.

On the 2.9L (4WD) vehicles, the clutch housing must be removed with the transmission assembly.

1. Remove the slave cylinder-to-transmission retaining bolts.

2. Remove the slave cylinder from the transmission input shaft.

To install:

1. Fit the slave cylinder over the transmission input shaft with the bleed screws and coupling facing the left side of the transmission.

2. Install the slave cylinder retaining bolts. Torque to 13-19 ft. lbs. (18-26Nm).

3. Install the transmission.

4. Reconnect the coupling to the slave cylinder.

5. Bleed the system.

6. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

BLEEDING THE SYSTEM

The following procedure is recommended for bleeding a hydraulic system installed on the vehicle. The largest portion of the filling is carried out by gravity. It is recommended that the original clutch tube with quick connect be replaced when servicing the hydraulic system because air can be trapped in the quick connect and prevent complete bleeding of the system. The replacement tube does not include a quick connect.

1. Clean the dirt and grease from the dust cap.

2. Remove the cap and diaphragm and fill the reservoir to the top with approved brake fluid C6AZ-19542-AA or BA, (ESA-M6C25-A) or equivalent.

To keep brake fluid from entering the clutch housing, route a suitable rubber tube of appropriate inside diameter from the bleed screw to a container.

1. Loosen the bleed screw, located in the slave cylinder body, next to the inlet connection. Fluid will now begin to move from the master cylinder down the tube to the slave cylinder.

The reservoir must be kept full at all time during the bleeding operation, to ensure no additional air enters the system.

1. Notice the bleed screw outlet. When the slave is full, a steady stream of fluid comes from the slave outlet. Tighten the bleed screw.

2. Depress the clutch pedal to the floor and hold for 1-2 seconds. Release the pedal as rapidly as possible. The pedal must be released completely. Pause for 1-2 seconds. Repeat 10 times.

3. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. The fluid should be level with the step when the diaphragm is removed.

4. Repeat Step 5 and 6 five times. Replace the reservoir diaphragm and cap.

5. Hold the pedal to the floor, crack open the bleed screw to allow any additional air to escape. Close the bleed screw, then release the pedal.

6. Check the fluid in the reservoir. The hydraulic system should now be fully bled and should release the clutch.

7. Check the vehicle by starting, pushing the clutch pedal to the floor and selecting reverse gear. There should be no grating of gears. If there is, and the hydraulic system still contains air, repeat the bleeding procedure from Step 5.