Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1998 Ford F 150 and air bag light blinks 52 how con i stop this

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford F 150 and air bag light blinks 52 how con i stop this
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

You need a scan tool and a multimeter to perform the tests to diagnose the problem. There are some items you can check though

The pictures in this super long post may not come thru. If not and this is a job you would like to tackle then I will enter them manually.

graphic

PINPOINT TEST A: LFC 12/52/DTC B1867 - LOST OR LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE
CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
A1 CHECK FOR A HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

NGS Tester

On-Demand Self-Test

• Was DTC B1867 retrieved?
Yes This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault may not be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC is no longer retrieved during the On-Demand Self Test. GO to A2 .
No This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time. GO to A7 .
A2 CHECK THE BATTERY SUPPLY

PID/Data Monitor and Record

Select PID VBATIAB.

• Is the voltage less than 5 volts?
Yes GO to A4.
No GO to A3.
A3 CHECK THE CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE
Measure the charging system voltage; refer to Section 414-00.

• Is the voltage greater than 9 volts?
Yes REPLACE the air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT the system. VERIFY the system. GO to A9 .
No REPAIR the charging system; refer to Section 414-00. GO to A9 .
A4 CHECK FUSE 2 (10 A)

Battery Ground Cable

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait one minute for the back-up power supply to deplete.

Power Distribution Box Fuse 2 (10 A)

• Is the fuse OK?
Yes REPAIR the open in Circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT the system. VERIFY the system. GO to A9 .
No REPLACE Fuse 2 (10 A). GO to A5 .
A5 CHECK CIRCUIT 937 (R/W) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor C208 and C209

Battery Ground Cable

Connect the battery ground cable and wait one minute.

Battery Ground Cable

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait one minute for the backup power supply to deplete.

Power Distribution Box Fuse 2 (10 A)

• Is the fuse OK?
Yes GO to A6.
No REPAIR the short to ground in Circuit 937 (R/W). REPLACE Fuse 2 (10 A). RECONNECT the system. VERIFY the system. GO to A9 .
A6 CHECK THE AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR FOR AN INTERNAL SHORT TO GROUND
WARNING: Dtc b1913 or b1914 can cause the diagnostic monitor to intentionally blow the power distribution box fuse 2 (10 a) to disarm the air bag system. Do not substitute another fuse value for the power distribution box fuse 2 (10 a). Another fuse value can cause future disarming failure and can result in danger to the occupants of the vehicle. Once the air bag diagnostic monitor has disarmed the system, it will not attempt to do so again until dtc b1913 or b1914 has been cleared. Do not reactivate the system until all dtc concerns have been repaired and cleared.

Battery Ground Cable

Battery Ground Cable

Power Distribution Box Fuse 2 (10 A)

• Is the fuse OK?
Yes GO to A9.
No REPLACE the air bag diagnostic monitor. REPLACE Fuse 2 (10 A). RECONNECT the system. VERIFY the system. GO to A9 .
A7 CHECK THE CHARGING SYSTEM
An intermittent charging system concern could lead to a DTC B1867.

• Has a charging system concern been reported or noticed on the vehicle?
Yes REPAIR the charging system concern; refer to Section 414-00. CHECK Fuse 2 (10 A). The fuse must be 10 A. Do not use any substitutions. GO to A9 .
No GO to A8.
A8 CHECK THE BATTERY FEED
Visually inspect all crimps, terminals, fuses, wires and connectors in Circuit 937 (R/W) feeding Pins C209-13 and C209-14. Check for poor connections, pinched wires, and damaged connector pin terminals.

• Are there any concerns noticed?
Yes REPAIR the concerns in Circuit 937 (R/W). CHECK Fuse 2 (10 A). The fuse must be 10 A. Do not use any substitutions. GO to A9 .
No RE-EXAMINE the DTC description and electrical schematic. CHECK for causes of intermittent low battery voltage at Pin C209-13 and Pin C209-14, Circuit 937 (R/W). ATTEMPT to recreate the hard faults by driving the vehicle, flexing the wire harnesses, and cycling the ignition key frequently. REPAIR any intermittent concerns found. GO to A9 .
A9 CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS

Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs

NOTE: Do not clear any of the DTCs until all DTCs have been resolved.
    Retrieve continuous DTCs.

• Were any other DTCs retrieved?
Yes REFER to the Air Bag Monitor Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Priority Table nd GO to the proper pinpoint test to continue the diagnostics.
No REACTIVATE the system. CLEAR all of the DTCs.

Pinpoint Test B: LFC 13/53/DTC B1913 - Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the voltage of the air bag modules at Pins C209-2, C209-3, C209-4 and C209-5. The voltage at these pins is set by the air bag diagnostic monitor and varies with the charging system voltage. If the air bag diagnostic monitor detects low voltage on any of these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1913 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 13 on the air bag indicator to indicate a possible short to ground on these circuits.

At the same time the air bag diagnostic monitor begins flashing LFC 13, it attempts to disarm the air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) by activating an internal solid state switch at Pin C209-13, Circuit 937 (R/W). The activation of this switch shorts Circuit 937 (R/W) to ground, causing the power distribution box Fuse 2 (10 A) to open, disarming the SRS and preventing inadvertent air bag deployment.

The air bag diagnostic monitor will make up to three attempts spaced one minute apart to blow the power distribution box Fuse 2 (10 A).

If the attempt to blow the fuse is successful, a DTC B1867 will be stored in memory.

If the attempts to blow the fuse are unsuccessful, a DTC B1924 will be stored in memory.

After the power distribution box Fuse 2 (10 A) has been blown or three attempts to blow it have failed, the air bag diagnostic monitor will not attempt to disarm the SRS again until DTC B1913 has been repaired and cleared from memory.

Should the low voltage or short to ground on these pins be intermittent or repaired, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash an LFC 53 (or a higher priority LFC such as LFC 12 if one exists) on the next ignition switch cycle.

Possible Causes

WARNING: Repair of lamp fault code (lfc) 13/diagnostic trouble code (dtc) b1913 will usually occur after the repair of lfc 12/dtc b1867 has been completed. Do not under any circumstances substitute another fuse value for the power distribution box fuse 2 (10 a). Any fuse other than 10 a can cause disarming failure and can result in danger to the occupants of the vehicle. Do not attempt to replace the power distribution box fuse 2 (10 a) unless the battery ground cable has been disconnected and the backup power supply energy has been depleted. To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if so equipped).

Low voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor Pins C209-2, C209-3, C209-4 or C209-5 can be caused by:

• a short to ground on Circuits 607 (LB/O), 614 (GY/O), 615 (GY/W), 616 (PK/BK), 1112 (W/LB), or 1113 (Y/LG), causing the diagnostic voltage to drop.
  • resistance to ground on Circuits 617 (PK/O), 619 (PK/W), 624 (Y/W) or 625 (Y/LG), or internal resistance to ground in either of the air bag sensors causing the diagnostic voltage to drop.
  • an internal short to ground within the air bag sliding contact (14A664) causing the driver air bag circuit(s) to be shorted to ground.
  • an internal short to ground within the driver air bag module or passenger air bag module.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: no pix came email to long

I figured they would not come thru.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic