Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel

Interior Lights wont go off on my 1998 Ford Expedition

My 1998 Ford Expedition has about 140,000 miles and I too have a problem with the "door ajar" light staying on and forcing the interior lights to stay on. Sometimes when you start it back up and drive for a few blocks the interior lights go off but the "door ajar" light continues to stay on. Then when you stop, turn off the ignition and get out of the car, the interior lights stay on. However, after about 30 minutes they will go off. I have tried going around to all of the doors, rear cargo door and rear window and shutting them all several times...sometimes hard sometimes not so hard....they still stay on. What gives? Please help us.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 9 years ago.

Hello there,

More than likely you have a door ajar switch sticking. You will need to lubricate all your door latches starting with the driver's door. Do one at a time so you can determine which one is at fault. Spray wd40 into latch,[soak it down good] open and close door a couple dozen times.[this includes 2 on the hatch] Repeat on each door in order of most used until your light goes out. This will work 90% of the time. Get back with me if it does not.