TechManSteve
TechManSteve, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  My automotive and engineering experience is based on Fords. I cut my teeth on a 1970 LTD
1729352

1997 ford f-150: electrical problems..alternator..checked all fuses

Customer Question

my 1997 ford f-150 is having electrical problems.my alternator is good and battery is good but my system is not charging please help.i checked all fuses,and they seem to be good .
Category: Ford
Expert:  TechManSteve replied 7 years ago.
How have you determined that 1. the alternator is good and 2. the system is not charging?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TechManSteve's Post: yes the alternator is good but the system isnt charging.a friend tried to install a radio and left all kind of naked wires,so i taped wires and rehooked the factory jacks but the system still dont charge.could there be a dead wire or relay bad?
There are no relays. The radio installation may have disrupted the "key on" signal from the alternator light on the dash (does your truck have a light, or only an ammeter?). When problems are caused by repairs/installations/modifications, all bets are off when applying "usual" fixes. You have still not told me how you have determined that the system is not charging and that the alternator is good. Have you checked battery terminal voltage while the engine is running? Was the alternator removed and checked "off car"?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my truck only has an ammeter,and i checked the battery terminal voltage before i removed the alternator and took it to get checked.battery terminal voltage failed,however when i took the alternator to autozone the alternator passed both times i took it.
What is the battery terminal voltage at idle and at 1500-2000RPM?? Specific numbers please, not vague terms like "failed".

You are going to need a voltmeter to diagnose this. The radio installation may have opened an important circuit, or something more common might have happened coincidentally at the same time.

One of the very first places to check will be the heavy wire on the back of the alternator - do you have battery voltage there with the engine stopped? Do you have the alternator with the big push-on plug, or is the large wire bolted to the back with a nut?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TechManSteve's Post: you were no help whatsoever and im requesting a refund please sir thankyou
What refund?? You did not hit "accept" and therefore did not pay anything. You also failed to provide answers to questions asked that would have helped in finding the answer to your problem. These questions were to help determine which section of the charging system is damaged. If you brought your truck to a knowledgable technician, he/she would have to perform the exact same tests, unless he/she was able to visually identify what was improperly done.

In your case, modifications were made to wiring harnesses and you are expecting somebody to guess what wires your friend cut...without seeing it, and without answers to basic questions.