Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel

Reset my Tire Pressure Warning Light? i cant get it to come off.

Customer Question

how do i reset my Tire Pressure Warning Light? i can't get it to come off. 2006 ford freestar
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

hello there,

Have there been any wheel swaps done, flat tire, anything that might damage a wheel sensor? I'm assuming you have checked the air pressure in the tires, it must be done cold!!

But to answer your question, you can't. It requires a special tool. [to train the sensors] So your going to have to take it to a Ford or Lincoln dealer. Here is the shop manual instructions.

TPMS Indicator and Message Center Messages

The TPMS indicator and vehicle message center (if equipped) sometimes displays faults that cannot be resolved by the customer. Treat these messages as TPMS faults that must be serviced.

TPMS Indicator Illuminates Continuously

NOTE: If the spare tire is in use, the damaged road tire must be repaired and installed on the vehicle to restore complete TPMS functionality before carrying out any diagnosis.

1. The TPMS indicator remains on continuously for the following condition:
    • Low Tire Pressure - The TPMS indicator is illuminated solid and the message center displays LOW TIRE PRESSURE (if equipped). This is displayed when any of the tire pressures are low. When this condition exists, the tire pressure must be adjusted to the recommended cold pressure as indicated on the vehicle certification label.
  1. NOTE: The TPMS sensors do not transmit when the vehicle is stationary. If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, it will be necessary to wake up the sensors so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the SJB.

If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, perform the following procedure to wake up the TPMS sensors.
    1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    1. Adjust the air pressure in the LF tire.
    1. Activate the LF TPMS sensor, at least 2 times, using the tire pressure monitor activation tool.
    1. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the remaining tires.
    1. If the TPMS indicator remains illuminated after adjusting and activating each sensor, GO to Symptom Chart.

TPMS Indicator Flashes

The TPMS indicator flashes for 70 seconds and then remains ON solid when the ignition key is turned to the ON position for the following conditions:

1. Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - If equipped, the message center will display TIRE SENSOR FAULT when a tire pressure sensor is malfunctioning. GO to Symptom Chart.
  1. No communication with the SJB (TPMS is integral to the SJB) - The TPMS indicator is illuminated when the instrument cluster has received no signals from the SJB for more than 5 seconds. If equipped, the message center displays TIRE MONITOR FAULT. GO to Symptom Chart.
  1. Tire Pressure Monitor Fault - If equipped, the message center will display TIRE MONITOR FAULT when the tire pressure monitoring system is malfunctioning or communication with the instrument cluster is lost. GO to Symptom Chart.

Inspection and Verification

1. NOTE: The tire pressure sensors are not designed to be used with aftermarket wheels.

NOTE: The use of run-flat tires (tires with steel body cord plies in the tire sidewall) where not originally equipped, may cause the TPMS system to malfunction and is therefore not recommended.

Verify the customer concern by inspecting the vehicle and observing the message center (if equipped) and the TPMS indicator.
  1. NOTE: The valve-mounted TPMS sensors and the strap-mounted TPMS sensors are not compatible. Swapping wheels from one vehicle to another with the different systems will adversely affect TPMS operation.

NOTE: Swapping wheels between vehicles with the same TPMS will cause a TPMS fault to be set if the sensors are not trained. Refer to Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training in this section.

NOTE: Non-original equipment manufacturer (OEM) modifications made to the vehicle may result in false TPMS warnings.

Inspect to determine if one of the following mechanical or electrical concerns apply: