Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

I have a 2000 ford f150 4x4. 5.7L V8 engine.

i have a 2000 ford f150 4x4. 5.7L V8 engine. 97k miles. the truck has run perfectly since i have had it. 6+ years. after a quick trip to the mall, valet brought truck back and it had "service engine soon" light on, as well as blinking overdrive button. it idles smooth, but when you try to accelerate it doesnt want to go. it slowly builds speed and shifts rough. took it to autozone and they hooked up the error code monitor to it and it displayed 11 errors including o2 sensors and transmission errors. what could cause this very sudden problem? if the tranny were going out, woudnt there be some gradual problems that would lead up to this? at first it felt like a vacuum problem that i had on a vehicle previous. could vacuum cause a problem like this. i had the engine steam cleaned last week and thought maybe something was knocked loose in that regard. but it did run fine for the first 5 day after that. any help would be appreciated. thx. chris.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

The O2 wires use the same powers and grounds used in the transmission harness so you need to inspect the harness to the trans, over the trans and to each of the 4 O2's. You need to look for wire chaffs. Here is a wire diagram to see the wire color connection

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where at on the vehicle is harness that needs to be inspected? and the o2's?

On both sides of the transmission are the left and right bank exhaust. The O2 are in there and the harness will be very visible once there. There is not a general area of wire chaffs. I would begin by looking at the O2 wires burning on the exhaust.

graphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.