Fordster, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Ford products

1998 Ford Contour: Battery light came..altenator replaced

1998 Ford Contour. Battery light came on when I started the car. I recently (a couple of months ago) had both the battery and the altenator replaced. Decided to try and drive around the block, but by the time I got to the end of the driveway I realized that I had no power steering. Help! I just got laid off, so I hope that it is a inexpensive fix!

Those symptoms indicate that you likely lost your serpentine belt. The belt itself is not an expensive item at all but there is usually an underlying reason for it coming off.

You need to inspect each one of the pulleys and spin it by hand to see that it riolls smoothly. Visually look at the pulleys to see that they align with each other and none of them are leaning or anything.

Let me know what engine it has and I will give you a diagram of the belt routing.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Fordster's Post: It is a 4 cylinder, built fall of 1997. I went out and yes, the belt is off. Not broken, still there, but not on the pulleys.

The spring loaded tensioner is #8 in the picture and you rotate it clockwise to relieve tension.