Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 Ford Mustang GT: wont of the gas it just dies

my 2001 Ford Mustang GT wont start properly. I start it and give it gas but once i let off of the gas it just dies. I placed a brand new battery in thinking that was it but it was a no go.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.

I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vaccum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AMEDEE's Post: how much would this cost to replace the regulator
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 years ago.
To be honest, I dont know. I just replace the parts. I am not a service writer. Should not be much. It only calls for 6 tenths of an hour in my labor guide. So whatever the labor rate is at a shop, it will be about 6 tenths of an hour. The labor rate will vary depending on the shop. Also, If you bring in your own part, it will be cheaper. They just mark up the price on the part.