Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

How do I repair the overhead trip computer readout on ...

Customer Question

How do I repair the overhead trip computer readout on my 2001 F-250 SuperCrew. The display goes on and off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.
You need to test the power and ground supply on the wires to the overhead. If they are losing power and ground then a trace down on those wires will have to be performed. If the wires are not losing power or ground signal at the time of occurance then the overhead is bad. Reply if you need the connector view.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: No this is not what I am looking for. There is a way to repair the Overhead Information Display. My ground and power is OK. Ford had an issue between 1999 and 2003 with the display bugging out. There is a simple fix but the guy on ebay was asking 19.95 to send directions. There is one connection inside the display that needs to be soldered.

That is why I asked on here.
Give me the vin#
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1FTNW21F41AC63891 > 2001 F250 SUPERCREW
double check your vin# XXXXX says this vin is no good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry my insurance card is wrong

Just checked the truck > 1FTNW21F41EC63891

Ford vin oasis does not show any common repair guides for a flashing display. i recommend you check the illumination wire crimp in the connector.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The connection seems fine. No corrosion.

Ever heard of anything like this?

http://www.anyonecanfixit.com/auto.htm

Electronic Compass / Temperature Readout Not Working
If the display of your electronic compass / temperature readout is blank, then we have the fix for you

This repair requires the following tools/supplies:

1. Small screwdriver type blade tip.

2. Torx T-10 wrench (star shaped head...it doesn't have to be a ratchet like the one above)

- Silver Bearing Solder

- 30 Watt Soldering Iron (Try not to go any higher than a 30 Watt iron as you could risk harming the electronic components with too much heat).

This repair requires minimum soldering skills (or learn to solder with this project).

To get these repair instructions, submit $19.99 via PayPal using the icon below and you'll get a unique username and password XXXXX access these instructions.

FEEDBACK ON THIS REPAIR:

October 10, 2006
Duane,
I completed the repair this weekend. It took about one hour and all went very well, excellent instructions. The most difficult part was separating the little white tabs on the module. It just takes a little time and patients. I used a 15 watt soldering iron which worked perfect. Once reconnected the digital readout was working as new.

Thank you

I work for a ford dealer in middle tennessee and have no clue what they are soldering or repairing but it does sound like it is internal in the overhead module. You may try disassembling it and seeing if any oins internal have bad connections to the circuit board. I did notice on your website that it does not list instructions for the super duty or excursion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I now have the answer and repaired the unit tis morning. This may help you in future reference: Just behind the LCD panel there are 2 flat rectangle resistors. These two resistors are apparently known for "popping off" the board. The numbers on mine were 620 & 640. The solders were broken loose causing intermittent power. I just used a 15 watt soldering iron and reattached. Works perfectly.

Maybe someone else will need the info. Heck i should become an expert???

Maybe you should of, good deal.