Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

2000 f250: super duty..popping..noise under..i turn or accelerate

Customer Question

why is my 2000 f250 4x4 diesel super duty making a popping and growling noise under the truck when i turn or accelerate?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.
Does this happen when turning and taking off from a complete stop.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it does. it was only happening when we would turn sharp to the left.....but now after a day or so, it's making that loud popping noise when we turn both ways. Also....when taking off. thanks so much for your help. is this a major problem and is it EXPENSIVE to fix?

Sounds like the rear axle limited slip clutches are grabbing to much. To repair this the clutches will have to be replaced. You will also want to verify the front hubs locks are not trying to engage.

Hubs will make a clicking popping noise

Clutches will make a groaning moaning noise and sometimes they produce a slight driveline vibration.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: if it's the rear....why do we only hear the loud clicking or popping noise in the front right and left sides? also, the hubs?? are you talking about the locks on the outside of each tire up front? are those hub locks. should those be set to free or lock? I promise to pay you after this. It's just that we are clueless when it comes to this subject...
If not in 4x4 then they should be set to free. If the bearing inside the hublocks fails then the axle will bang aroud in there and it will cause the front axle to attempt to engage. I failed hublock will only cause popping. A failed front wheel hub bearing will cause growling. Raise the front of the vehicle and spin and wobble the wheels. This will check the bearings. See if the u-joint behind the wheel has a lot of wobble to it. On the ford Super Duty if it is driven with front hubs locked in it will ruin the hublocks and the hub beaings and the axles.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
hi..i spoke with you the other day about my f250 4x4 diesel making the popping noise...had it checked out by a local shop and was told that a bearing is loose on the right side and also that it looks like the posi trac?? is trying to lock up....says it's in the axle. the shop here says they can't fix that and now i have to drop it off a Ford dearlership 30miles away..(doing that this weekend)we are not driving the truck at this time (scared to). My question is...will this cost us out the yin yang? Honestly please as we are on a tight budget and want to be prepared. God only knows what labor charges will be. Also, will it be safe to drive it to the dealer you think?
Which bearing was messed up front or rear then I can get you a close estimate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they told me the right front bearing....also tell me about how much it might cost to repair the "posi trac"? if you can i would greatly appreciate it. is there a lot of labor involved?

Here you go don't forget to add diff fluid

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so definitely not cheap!! we figured this much....well......thanks for all your help. Maybe this dearlership won't charge as much but i'm sure it will come close....i'll find out soon...
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Hi Moose. I wanted to ask you one more question. Is the problem that we need fixed on our truck what makes theXXXXXwork? Is that what's making the truck make the noise i talked about before? If so, would we be able to just have theXXXXXpart removed? We never use the 4x4 part of the truck anyway. It's our family vehichle and a guy that works with my husband says that if we don't need it then maybe not pay to have that part replaced. Just replace the loose bearing on the right front side. Can that be done? Would it be cheaper also. I guess this is more than ONE MORE QUESTION. sorry...thanks again.
If the front hub bearing assembly is bad it needs to be repaired now. If the lock in lock out hub is bad it can be removed for a short while till a repair is done.. The clutches in the rear end can sometimes be cured with fluid change and friction modifer added but only sometimes will this repair or mask the clutch concern.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh okay....I'm beginning to wonder if somehow one hub was locked and one was free....do you think that's how this happened to begin with? Is the posi trac what locks and unlocks the hubs?

No the posi trac which is actually called limited slip has nothing to do with the 4x4. It is just a clutch pack in the rear axle that tries to make both rear tires spin in mud and snow.

If one hub was locked in and one was not this can cause front axle and wheel bearing and lock in hub problems. The SD 4x4 sytem is not made to operate at high speeds with the hubs locked in. It will get to wobbling internal in the hub bearing and just shake all the bearings to pieces.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That possibly is what happened because we just started to notice that last weekend...I was just driving down the road and all of a sudden i got this growling or grinding type noise. Also, when i was parked....i turned the steering wheel to my left and could feel a sound like "bump". So i guess that's all due to the bearing or axle right?
You got it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
lol....okay Moose.....thanks once again for your advice and i think i've learned a little bit myself....at least i may be able to tell the dealer a little somethin' on saturday morning. Have a nice weekend....dont be suprised though if i come back after i'm told what the dealer here in georgia finds with my truck....that will probally be sometimes next week. goodbye
I am going to have a great weekend sitting at the stands at bristol. You can ask for me on your new future questions if you would like. Have a good weekend yourself.