Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Ford Explorer 2004 - how do turn off the change oil light ...

Ford Explorer 2004 - how do turn off the change oil light required after an oil change has been completed

Here is the procedure for setting the maintenence light.

graphic

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: I have done the procedure here is what actually happens: I press "Setup" then the message center (MC) asks "To press reset for system check"; then goes through system ck ... "Oil changed required" comes on and beeps then after about 2 second the MC continues going through the remainder of the system check. No matter how many times I press the reset button or for how long, it merely resets the "oil changed required" temporarily, if I turn off the engine and restart the same message "Oil change required" keeps coming on. I never get the message "OIL LIFE % HOLD RESET NEW" to display ... still need help, thanks in advance.
Did you try pressing the reset button right after you pressed setup, try to do it before it asks to press it for sys check...
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: It is instanteous ... there is no pause, if you press setup it asks to press reset for system check immediately, if you hold the rest button it will temporaily clear, but it continues to go through the rest of the check system, never asks about percentages and if you turn off the engine, the check oil required will come back one.
That is the only procedure that Ford lists for resetting it. If you are not getting anywhere with it, it will probably need to have the module reflashed or replaced.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Ok

Sorry,,,wish i could make it work for you, i'm sure that it is annoying.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thanks for your time I will accept the answer ... though unfortunately I knew all these steps already ... it really didn't help.

Thanks very much for asking, was hoping it was just a normal reset for you. Best of luck!