Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

How can I reset an airbag module to turn of the airbag ...

Customer Question

How can I reset an airbag module to turn of the airbag light? My focus had a rear damage and I replaced a bad seat belt, but the light is still on. Can I reset it without special tools?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.

hello there,

I'm sorry to inform you that it still has a problem, and will never go out until its repaired. [well unless the bulb burnt out] It should flash out a code when you first turn the key on, count these flashes and tell me what you got..2 digits

It would turn off othewise.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
What do you mean by "flash out a code when you first turn the key on, count these flashes and tell me what you got..2 digits"? When I turn the key on the light is on for couple seconds, then it is off for couple seconds and then it's on again. Is any way to reset it? I mean to turn off a battary or smth else?
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.

Prove Out Procedure

Turn the ignition switch from the OFF to the ON position and visually monitor the air bag indicator with all SRS components connected or restraint system diagnostic tools installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six seconds and then turn off. If an SRS fault is present, the air bag indicator will either:

• fail to light.
  • remain lit continuously.
  • flash.

The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the restraints control module (RCM) to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and an SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of five sets of five bleeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator will need to be repaired before diagnosis can continue.

Lamp Fault Code (LFC)

When the RCM detects a fault, it will cause the air bag indicator to flash a coded sequence called a LFC. The code is one digit. The digit is indicated by a number of flashes with a 0.5 second interval between pulses. There is a 5 second pause between each display of an LFC.

Each LFC is flashed five times after which the air bag indicator will remain lit as long as the key remains in the RUN position. If there are multiple LFCs, each LFC will flash in order of priority.

Each LFC has one or more associated DTC.

Lamp Fault Code (LFC) No DTCs

This signifies the RCM has detected a deployment and at one time had a DTC B1231 that was cleared with a scan tool. The flash code 13 will not clear. Installation of a new RCM is required.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I turned the ignition switch from off to on and airbag light was on for 6 sec. than was off for 1 sec and than was on forever. J just want to know: what is the way to reset it without special tools (scaner, comp.). My focus had rear damage. I changed the driver seat belt, because it was bad. But in Ford dealership said that maybe I would need to change a passenger buckle, because Focus has sensors in driver seat belt and passenger buckle. I can change that buckle, although it looks good, But I saw one guy said in a forum that he changed seat belts and than module and the light is still on because it needs special reset. So, I want to find out do I need to buy a module or not. And if I buy it will the light off than I plug it?
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.

disconnect your battery cable for 10-15 minutes, this will discharge the back up power supply in the module [rcm] If the light still stay on after rehook, it probably does need a new rcm but the only way to know for sure is to have the codes pulled with a scanner and do the appropiate pinpoint test with a dvom. Did you ever check for blown fuses? What year is this focus?

If you are capable of these tests I can send it to ya, otherwise I would suggest taking to the Ford dealer for proper diagnosis.

Remember when ever the light is on you are not protected by the air bag system [the bags with not deploy]

I'll get back with you tomorrow, I am going to sleep now.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
My focus is 2005 model year. I already disconnected the battery but only for couple minutes. Do you think 10-15 minutes will work? Which fuses are you talking about? What do you mean by send tests to me?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.