Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician ; ASE L1 master Technician
157173

1994 Ford Ranger: the code reader..EGR..voltage

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger 2.3 and the code reader read 224 (Spout ciruit open) and 335 (EGR (PFE) sensor voltage out of range. What needs to be fixed/changed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

The PFE sensors used on these vehicles experienced a LOT of failures. If the hoses are all intact and not disconnected, I would suggest replacing the PFE sensor. When doing so, it is best to use the one from the Ford dealer parts department... FOrd redesigned this sensor a while back and the improved version does not experience the same high failrue rate as teh original design. Most of the ones I have seen from parts stores are copies of the original faulty design.

The PFE sensor is a rectangular component with 2 hoses and an electrical connector, mounted on the firewall near the center (see illustration below)

graphic

. The SPOUT circuit is an output from the ignition module in the distributor to the engine control module. The SPOUT signal is used by the ECM to control ignition timing advance. THe lossible causes of loss of SPOUT include a faulty ignition module (very common failure), a faulty ECM (not very common), or an open circuit between the 2 components.

If you refer to the locator diagram above, you will see a spout connector located near the driver's side fender in the wiring harness. This connector is removed when making ignition timing adjustments; make sure it has been replaced. Also, when adjusting timing since the spout connector is removed, the adjustment prcedure results in a spout loss code being stored. you may want to disconnect the battery to clear codes and then see if it returns; it may have just never been erased from the last tune-up.

Hope this is helpful; if so, pleae click my accept button and leave positive feedback! Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: The 1994 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4 cylynder has new ingnition coils so the very common failure is not the source. Outside of that what are the other possibilitys are there to set off the 224 code?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

I'm not sure your read my response all the way through; I did not mention ignition coils at all, an ignition coil cannot cause any of the problems you describe.

The PFE sensor is a VERY common failure on this model, as I stated in the first paragraph. I would suggest replacing the PFE sensor (or having it tested at a repair shop).

The SPOUT circuit code is possibly related to a missing or improperly seated SPOUT connector; or an open circuit between the ignition module and the ECM. The ignition coil is NOT involved in this circuit.

Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
Greetings!
I cannot help but notice that for some reason you have not yet accepted the answer I provided to your question; is there some way I can be of further assistance?
If so, please let me know; if not, then please click on my accept button to complete payment! Thanks!