Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

1996 Ford Thunderbird: my drivers side electric window..door panel

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford Thunderbird and my drivers side electric window stopped working. How do I remove the door panel to get to the motor?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 8 years ago.

Door Panel:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Carefully pull the door trim finish panel away from the door trim panel.

3. Disconnect the wiring from the lock switches, outer rear view mirror controls, and regulator controls.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Door trim panel-

1. If equipped, remove the door trim panel finish panel.

2. Remove the trim panel retaining screw through the door trim panel finish panel opening.

3. Remove the interior lamp lens cover.

4. Remove the screw through the interior lamp opening.

5. Slide the door trim panel upwards to disengage the hooks.

6. Rotate the top of the trim panel away from the door, then lift the bottom hooks from the front door.

7. Disconnect the window regulator jumper wire.

8. Remove the trim panel.

9. Reverse the procedure to install the components.

10. Connect the wiring, then check the operation of all the components involved.

Window Motor:

1. Remove the trim panel and watershield.

2. Remove the speakers.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

4. Disconnect the motor wires and the connector.

5. Using the dimples located on the inner door panel, drill 3/4 in. (19mm) holes for access to the motor.

6. Working through the holes, remove the 3 motor and drive-to-regulator attaching bolts. Remove the motor and drive from the door.

To install:

1. Clean the chips of metal from the surrounding area. Then coat the bare metal to avoid rust.

2. When installing the motor and drive to the regulator and install the 3 screws just snugly enough to hold it. Remove the regulator restraining bolt and nut if the old regulator was re-used.

3. Connect the negative battery cable.

4. Connect the wires and cycle the glass through its run to ensure gear engagement. Then, tighten the attaching screws to 50-85 inch lbs. (6-10 Nm).

5. Install the speakers and door trim panel with watershield.