Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Certified Mechanic Ford Motor Co.
Experience:  18 years as a Ford tech and still going
3075798

Vehicle speed sensor located on a 99 ford ranger xlt 2wd?

where is the vehicle speed sensor located on a 99 ford ranger xlt 2wd?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 7 years ago.
Hi, is your abs light on?thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Cheeko's Post: yes, it came on when I started up the vehicle. When I started to drive, the O/D light flashed as well as the check engine light and it shifted really rough. The code I pulled was P0500-Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction. I have a part, but not sure where to stick it.

Hi, the sensor will be on the rear end housing see diagram for repairs

graphic

graphic

Thanks for using just answer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Cheeko's Post: That doesn't look like the part I have. It has a place for a gear to be put on. I found the part you have shown me, but is that the right one? There are several speed sensors.
Hi, sorry does your truck have 4 wheel abs? thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Cheeko's Post: no-2wd xlt 3.0 engine

Hi, see diagrams highlighted areas

graphic

graphic

Hi, you may have the one mounted on the transmission see above thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Cheeko's Post: sorry to be a pain, but this diagram is for a 4wd automatic transmission. I have a 2wd transmission. Would it be in the same place as where the speedo cable comes in? There is a center bolt, but a lot of stuff with it. Would the ABS light come on if it was the VSS sensor in the tranny? I just want to make sure that I have the area. Thanks!

Hi, see the chart below thanks

graphic

if you need more help please let me know thanks

Experience: 18 years as a Ford tech and still going
HI, the rear axle sensor will cause you to have a abs light and it will be in the same place . the speedometer gets it signal from the GEM module it doesn't have a cable. On the transmission the sensor also will be in the same area thanks if you need more help please let me know