Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

where is the fuel filter located on a 1988 cougar

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 7 years ago.

The filter used in these models is an in-line replaceable cartridge type. The filter has the capability of 50,000 miles of maintenance free operation. Its function is to provide filtration to protect the small metering orifices of the injector nozzles. The filter is located downstream of the pump and is mounted on the chassis frame near the right rear wheel well. The filter and filter housing is protected by a metal stone shield.

Some models may use a secondary filter. It is a small serviceable in-line cylindrical unit located in the fuel supply line in the lower engine compartment area. There is approximately 14.5 inches of high pressure flexible line permanently attached to the filter. The line and filter are serviced as an assembly. This filter protects the injector nozzles from contaminates purged through the system during initial assembly or service operations. The secondary filter however, should never need replacement.

PRIMARY FILTER

1. Raise and support the rear end on jackstands.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Exploded view of the fuel filter mounting used on some fuel injected models

1. With the engine OFF, depressurize the fuel system. Refer to Fuel System.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Remove the clamp surrounding the stone shield

1. Remove the stone shield from in front of the filter.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Unbolt the shield from the vehicle ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: ... then lower and remove it

1. On models with flare fittings, unscrew them at both ends of the filter.

2. Remove the filter retaining screws from the filter bracket, then the filter from the frame rail.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Remove the clamps retaining the lines to the filter

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Slide the lines off the filter, watch for spillage

To install:

1. Clean the gasket sealing surface of the filter housing adapter.

2. Lubricate the filter sealing surfaces and the housing threads with a light film of clean engine oil. Screw the filter onto the housing. Hand tighten the filter, then back off the filter to the point where the filter gasket just makes contact with the housing sealing surface.

3. Finally, tighten the filter element an additional 5/8 to 3/4 of a turn.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Use new clips when reinstalling the filter

1. Install the stone shield. Lower the vehicle.

2. Start the engine and inspect the fuel filter for leaks.

SECONDARY FILTER

2. Remove the clips and slide the lines off of the filter ends to remove the unit.

To install:

1. Place a new filter into position.

2. Slide the fuel lines over the filter ends and place the clamps over the end/hose connections.

3. Start the engine and inspect the fuel filter for leaks.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

V W