RD, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  MASTER ASE 35 YEARS

A 1984 E150 6 cyl van..rebuilt..brake light..light came

I am working on a 1984 E150 6 cyl van, w power brakes. Customer complained of fading brake pedal. I replaced with a rebuilt master cyl, and when I was pumping pedal, I pushed pedal to the floor, and brake light came on in the dash, but then went out later. Icould not get a good pedal with new master cyl., even after bleeding brakes , starting at rr, then lr, then right front, then lf. So, I went and bought a new master cyl., installed, bled, then bled brakes in same sequence. Adjusted rear drum brakes. Still very soft pedal. Van has brakes, but very touchy. Could it be that equalizer valve is not biased correctly. if you think it is that, can they be reset, or do i need a new one?

Welcome to JA.

If you bled the master before installing it, Yes i would replace the equalizer block , Often the block becomes trapped with contaminant's and will throw the balance off and even bleed threw on side to the other,

Let me know if i can help more!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is there any way to clean up and reset equalizer block, or should i replace, and if i replace it, is there any formal procedure to installing it, adjusting or presetting it?

I Would replace the block For installing just make shire the fluid is clean and there is no dirt or rust when installing it.

The valve is pre set Just gravity bleed the brakes starting with the RR, then LR then RF then LF Run fluid threw until looks clean

You should be ready to go then!

Hello Yes please let me know if i can help more!