tthearch1
tthearch1, auto mechanic
Experience:  mechanic for 20 years my ford training started in 1994 became master certified with ford in 2001

2001 Ford ranger: trouble code..replace my spark plugs..coil pack..egr

Customer Question

i have a 2001 Ford ranger 3.0 engine and a trouble code P0306 I have replace my spark plugs, wires and coil pack about 6 months ago. I have changed all EGR parts this past week. Please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  tthearch1 replied 7 years ago.
p0306 is a mis fire code for cylinder #6 (rear cylinder on drivers side) i would pull the plug wire off and remove spark plug and inspect for carbon traces on plug and inside plug wire if any are present replace plug and wire you can also start the engine first and spary water on the area and look for electrical achs i hope this has helped if so hit accept
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already replaced the new the other day sorry I didnot mention in my question
Expert:  tthearch1 replied 7 years ago.

is the vehicle running fine with no skips or surges?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well when i replaced the erg sensers and cleared the codes it ran ok for about 2 hours and then the Check Engine light kept flashing while the engine while I was driving. I recheck the code and it came back P0306 cylinder 6 misfire Detected
it also has a noticeable miss again. The truck has 139000 miles on and has never ben a problem Thanks for your time and help

Joe
Expert:  tthearch1 replied 7 years ago.
if you replaced the plug and wire you will have to test the fire coming out of the coil for that cylinder unplug the #6 plug wire at the spark plug and take one of the old plugs and warp a peice of copper wire around the plug where the wrench fits on it and ground it to the engine and start the engine and see if the spark is nice and blue if not replace the coil pack if it is fine you will need to run a compression test on that cylinder an #5 to compare it to if it is low you will have to suspect a burned intake or exhaust valve if that test fine remove the cam sensor and inspect it and the syncronizer for damage and replace if it is damage just besure to install back in the same position to prevent other issues you will have to take it and have a injector flow test preformed i hope this has helped if so pleae hit accept