autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance, Ford Senior Master Certification

1997 Ford: v10 6.8L van with 190k miles..autozone..serviced

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford E350 v10 6.8L van with 190K miles. These are the error diagnostic codes from AutoZone:
T1299 dealer code
T307 cylinder 7 misfire
T302 cylinder 2 misfire

What does the T1299 dealer code mean?
What are the most likely items that need to be serviced?
What do I need to know to do the work myself?
Category: Ford
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 9 years ago.

Here is the diagnostic procedure for the P1299. There are no T codes you must have misunderstood them on that one. The P stands for powertrain. The P1299 is for the cylinder head temperature sensor. If this sensor is indicating an overheating condition it will shut down fuel injectors to try to cool the engine. This may be where your misfire codes came from.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. The P1299 code may be from when I ran low on coolant due to a leak. That has been repaired and the level is good. I will reset the codes and see if it goes away.

I also have the alldata info you sent me. I just put in the wrong codes. Any simple recommendations for the P302 & P307 misfires? I know there are detailed test steps HD1 -HD8.

Once you clear out the cylinder head temp code the others may not come back. Do you feel a misfire at all? Does your check engine light flash?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The codes are no longer there , after the reset. NO check engine light any more. Looks like the misfires are old data and not the current problem. I feel vibration and chirping noise under load. Any areas to check would be approciated.