Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

how can you tell when your evaporator is bad .... what is

got a 1997 ford ranger truck. how can you tell when your evaporator is bad .... what are the symptoms ?
Well, if the evaporator is bad, than it will not hold freon. And there will be know cold air out of the vents. IF the leak is big enough, than it may blow the freon through the vents inside the car in a noticeable white cloud.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what if there is no leak in the evaporator ?

In rare cases, I have seen it clogged up.

To diagnose this, turn on the AC and feel the two lines. The should be fairly close in tempature. If there is a big temp difference, chances are it is clogged up.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
could the evaporator create changes to the compressor's clutch cycling ?
If it is leaking causing low freon levels, than yes, it could!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
its not leaking.... i noticed when the fan turns off then the compressor's clutch stops working and when the fan turns on the clutch has rapid short cycles... thought this might be a symptom of a bad evaprator.....

If your evaporator is not leaking, or plugged, than it is good!

Dont bother spending any money on it!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok my problem is not the evaporator then... my symptom are as follows....
when the condensor fan turns off, then the compressor's clutch cycling stops working and the clutch continues to run and when the condensor fan turns on, the clutch cylcing activates but it has rapid short cycles...
Right! Your computer is doing this! This is normal! You might just be a little low on freon. You computer does this to prevent damage to the AC components if the freon is a bit low. A simple recharge is all you need!