Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Certified Mechanic Ford Motor Co.
Experience:  18 years as a Ford tech and still going
3075798

how do you change the fuel pump on a ford fivehundred

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 7 years ago.

Fuel Pump Module

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 9C335A Fuel pump module access cover
2 - Fuel vapor control tube assembly valve-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling (part of 9C047)
3 - Rear fuel supply tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling (part of 9G700)
4 14A464 Fuel pump module electrical connector
5 9C385 Fuel pump module lock ring
6 9H307 Fuel pump module
7 9276 Fuel pump module O-ring seal
8 - Fuel crossover tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling (part of 9P860)
9 - Fuel crossover tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling (part of 9P860)

With vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

Release the fuel system pressure.

Disconnect the battery ground cable.

Release the fuel tank filler cap and position aside.

Insert a suitable fuel drain tube into the fuel tank filler pipe until it reaches the fuel tank inlet spout

graphic

• NOTE: When the fuel tank is completely full, this step will remove approximately 1/8 of fuel from the fuel tank.

Attach the fuel storage tanker to the fuel drain tube and remove any residual fuel in the fuel tank filler pipe.
  • Release the fuel tank filler pipe hose clamp.

• To install, tighten to 3 Nm (27 lb-in).

graphic

Disconnect the fuel tank filler pipe hose from the fuel tank.

Insert a suitable fuel drain tube into the fuel tank inlet spout

graphic

1. NOTE: When draining a completely full fuel tank, this step will drain most of the fuel from the RH side of the fuel tank, and partially drain the LH side of the fuel tank due to the siphoning effect from the fuel crossover tube.

Attach the fuel storage tanker to the fuel drain tube and drain the fuel from the RH side of the fuel tank.

Five Hundred, Montego

Remove the rear lower seat cushion.

Release the latches and pull upward on the rear lower seat cushion and remove

graphic

All vehicles

Position the rear floor carpet and any padding or insulation covering the fuel pump module access cover aside.

Remove the fuel pump module access cover.

Clean the surrounding area of the fuel pump module mounting flange and the quick connect couplings with compressed air.

Disconnect the fuel pump module electrical connector. : Place absorbant pads in the general work area in case of fuel spillage.

Disconnect the rear fuel supply tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling.

Disconnect the fuel vapor control tube assembly valve-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling.

Install the special tool and remove the fuel pump module lock ring.

graphic

Carefully lift the fuel pump module out of the fuel tank allowing access to disconnect the crossover tube quick connect couplings.

Disconnect the crossover tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect couplings

Completely remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank.

NOTE: To install, apply clean engine oil to the O-ring seal.

Remove the fuel pump module O-ring seal.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

graphicgraphic

• Make sure the alignment arrows on the fuel pump module and the fuel tank meet before tightening the fuel pump module lock ring.
    • Tighten the fuel pump lock ring until it meets the stop tabs on the fuel tank.
    • thanks