Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Certified Mechanic Ford Motor Co.
Experience:  18 years as a Ford tech and still going

1999 Ford Escort ZX2: replacing..the timing belt..snapped..DOHC

I'm currently replacing the timing belt (the old one snapped while driving) on my 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 with a 2.0 DOHC Zetec. I asked a question recently but I think I got misinformed. I got most of the disassembly done. Here are the final things I'm having trouble with. 1. This is my biggest problem. I can't find the plug next to the CKP sensor where I'm supposed to insert the TDC alignment peg, that locks the crankshaft in TDC on piston 1. In the manual it states that I DO NOT have to remove the exhaust manifold to put it in. But I think the sensor is under it. Where exactly is this plug and do I absolutely have to use this to time it? 2. Is there an easy way to get the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley off? No matter what I do those bolts just don't seem to want to budge. If this is any help out there I would greatly appreciate it. I've worked on cars before but this is madness. There is no room to do anything in this car.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 9 years ago.

Rotate the crankshaft (6303) to top dead center (No. 1 cylinder).

Install the Crankshaft TDC Timing Peg. yes you need to follow the procedure to get the timing correct

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the peg

TDC for #1

You will need to remove the motor mount in front of the engine and the lower cover to access the crankpulley and the idler pulley thanks need more help please let me know

Remove the splash shield - front fender.

Loosen the bolt retaining the crankshaft pulley.

Remove the drive belt (8620). .

Raise the vehicle.

Remove the bolts and the splash shield.

Remove the bolts and the crankshaft pulley (6312) and washer

Remove the accessory drive belt (8620

Support the engine with the 3-Bar Engine Support.

Remove the front engine support isolator bolt.

Raise the engine.

Remove the bolt and the belt idler pulley

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have all this information in the Haynes manual. I cannot find where the timing peg goes. I need a detailed exact location. I've looked all over for it. For the idler pulley i'm just going to drill a hole big enough to get a socket thru in the wheel well so I don't have to mess with the motor mount. The bolt for the crankshaft pulley isn't reverse threaded is it? The crankshaft pulley only has two holes that don't go all the way through on it. No timing notches like the picture.
Hi, the picture show where the peg goes it should be right beside the sensor and also if you are doing this on the ground will make it even harder support the car with jack stands and put the jack under the car use a block of wood on the jack so you don't damage the oil pan and remove the mount it will make it easier also to access the timing belt . for the idler pulley you can use a wrench from underneath that's what I have done. thanks need more help please let me know
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I can't find the sensor. I need exact location. What else is the sensor and peg hole close to?
Hi, looking at the picture the hole should be about 2-3 inches back from the sensor and just in front of the exhaust manifold 1st port thanks I will check another year to see if they have a better picture
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
So I have to take off the exhaust manifold even though it doesn't say I have to in the manual?

Hi, went up a year check to see if you see it here thanks

let me know thanks again

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I'm still not seeing anything that looks like that. From what i can tell from the picture it's over by where the motor meets up with the tranny (which is closer to cylinder 4)on the ehaust side (front) of the motor. Is it underneath the exhaust manifold? Or am I just no looking in the right spot? Can you see it from the top or the bottom?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK I think I found it. I removed the fan shroud and heat sheild off the exhaust manifold. The part of the muffler just below the manifold is going to have to come off. I have to go get a 15mm deep dish socket to take it off. I aligned the cams with the alignment tool so on piston #1 the cam lobes on the exhaust and intake ports are pointing away from eachother. Hopefully that sounds right.