Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

How do you change the serpentine belt on a 2001 ford ranger 3.0 v6

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Accessory Drive Belt - 3.0L

Removal and Installation

1. Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise and remove the drive belt You will need to rotate the tensioner or the pulley using a ratchet and or a socket. Here is where the tensioner is located

graphic

Component Locations - 3.0L with A/C

graphic

PLEASE REPLY IF NEEDED

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even after rotating tensioner, belt won't go on. Purchased belt from dealership. Still need about 1/2 inch of room.
A new belt will be slightly smaller than the old one but not by much. Verify correct belt routing and verify the belt is setting inside the groove on all the pulleys. Also try to install the belt on the last pulley ( one that is smooth and rides on the back side of the belt.) Compare the new belt and the old belt stretched betweenyour hands to make sure the length is the same
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: I can't even get the old belt back on. I am routing it correctly according to the diagram on the vehicle and the one you sent. There has to be another piece to the puzzle

Does your vehicle have AC If the old belt will not go back on then either the belt routing is wrong or the belt is not in the groove on all the pulleys or you are not trning the tensioner enough or the wrong way

#5 the tensioner swings this way to loosen the belt which is clockwise

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am turning the tensioner clockwise. When I am underneath the truck I can see where the tensior moves. I am moving all the way against the other side of the bracket as far as it will go and the old belt won't go on or the new one's. The belt is set in all the grooves and routed according to the diagram. At this point I am lost.
There is not much other I can do than what I have already done to help. You know something is not right because you took the old belt off. So you know it fits.You must be routing the belt wrong that has got to be the only explanation. Are you sure it is a 3.0 with AC if not I will get a different diagram.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sure it is 3.0 with AC
I asked another techs oversite and he agreed with my post. You will notice it on the 1st post I made it says another expert agrees. You surely have to agree with me if you took the old belt off and now you cannot put it back on then you are doing something wrong. I recommend you get someone else with mechanic ability to check your work you may be overlooking something very simple. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes. I suggest you atart all over and verify the correct belt routing per my picture.