Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician ; ASE L1 master Technician
157173

1993 Ford Explorer XLT: v6 4.0..(Previous owner..Harness)..dome light

1993 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4.0 I was Changing the radio and forgot to disconect the car batery. Two of the exposed wires,(Previous owner dismantle the Harness) probably the neg and/or the hot touched, creating a spark and shuting the dome light off. Needless to say the new radio doesn't power on. I checked both the radio and dome fuses under the dash and they are fine. What can I do to fix this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

Both the radio and the interior lighting share only one fuse; it is the 15 amp fuse located in cavity #1 of the interior fuse panel under the dash. I am not sure what lebel might be on the fuse box cover, but this is likely the blown fuse causing the problem.

Other fuses that power up the radio circuits are the 15 amp fuse in cavity 10, and the 15 amp fuse in cavity 11.

I hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button! If you need more assistance, please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: All the fuses in the fuse box are good. What else can it be?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Here is the wiring schematic for your radio, to help in tracing down the source of the problem:

graphic

The first thing to do is to start at the radio electrical plug, to see if you have power at all of these:

Pin 1 (lt grn/ yellow); should have power at all times

pin 3 (yellow/ blk); should have power only with the key on

Pin 19 (lt bl/ red); should have power with the headlamp switch turned on

If you will check for power at these pins and let me know what you find, it will help to narrow the problem down to a particular circuit so we can continue...

Steve, Service Manager
Experience: 25+ years experience as a professional technician ; ASE L1 master Technician