Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Remove the fuel filter on a 1992 ford explorer(automatic, V6 4.0L)

Customer Question

How do I remove the fuel filter on a 1992 ford explorer(automatic, V6 4.0L)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 7 years ago.

Quick-connect (push type) fuel line fittings must be disconnected using proper procedure or the fitting may be damaged. There are two types of retainers used on the push connect fittings. Line sizes of 3/8 and 5/16 in. diameter use a hairpin clip retainer. The 1/4 in. diameter line connectors use a duck-bill clip retainer. In addition, some engines use spring-lock connections, secured by a garter spring, which require Ford Tool T81P-19623-G (or equivalent) for removal.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

1. Clean all dirt and grease from the fitting. Spread the two clip legs about 1/8 in. (3mm) each to disengage from the fitting and pull the clip outward from the fitting. Use finger pressure only; do not use any tools.

2. Grasp the fitting and hose assembly and pull away from the steel line. Twist the fitting and hose assembly slightly while pulling, if the assembly sticks.

3. Inspect the hairpin clip for damage, replacing the clip if necessary. Reinstall the clip in position on the fitting.

4. Inspect the fitting and inside of the connector to ensure freedom from dirt or obstruction. Install the fitting into the connector and push together. A click will be heard when the hairpin snaps into the proper connection. Pull on the line to insure full engagement.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Hairpin clip fuel fitting installation

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Exploded views of the hairpin and duckbill clip type fuel fittings

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

1. A special tool is available from Ford and other manufacturers for removing the retaining clips. Use Ford Tool T82L-9300-AH or equivalent. If the tool is not on hand, go onto step 2. Align the slot on the push connector disconnect tool with either tab on the retaining clip. Pull the line from the connector.

2. If the special clip tool is not available, use a pair of narrow 6-inch slip-jaw pliers with a jaw width of 0.2 in (3mm) or less. Align the jaws of the pliers with the openings of the fitting case and compress the part of the retaining clip that engages the case. Compressing the retaining clip will release the fitting, which may be pulled from the connector. Both sides of the clip must be compressed at the same time to disengage.

3. Inspect the retaining clip, fitting end and connector. Replace the clip if any damage is apparent.

4. Push the line into the steel connector until a click is heard, indicating the clip is in place. Pull on the line to check engagement.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Duckbill clip fuel fitting installation

Spring Lock Coupling

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 2 and 3

The spring lock coupling is held together by a garter spring inside a circular cage. When the coupling is connected together, the flared end of the female fitting slips behind the garter spring inside the cage of the male fitting. The garter spring and cage then prevent the flared end of the female fitting from pulling out of the cage. As an additional locking feature, most vehicles have a horseshoe-shaped retaining clip that improves the retaining reliability of the spring lock coupling.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Spring lock fitting removal and installation procedures

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Spring lock horseshoe-shaped retaining clip installation

If you have further questions on this just reply, otherwise please click on accept.

Happy Holidays!

V W