Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

cause a transmission to overheat with no signs or indications?

Customer Question

What would cause a transmission to overheat with no signs or indications? The dealer indicates too much weight in bed of truck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 years ago.
I need to know the year make and model and engine size and mileage. How much weight do you haul in the bed.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
2006 ford f 150 with 8000 miles v6
You did not give me any info other than my name
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris's Post: did you get that ??????
Did the tansmission overheat and start spitting out fluid. Does the transmission still work. How much do you haul in the bed or by trailer. Is the dealer dening repair.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chris's Post: The dealer is telling me that the tork converter is blue and the forward clutches are bad. I carry 2,000 pounds in the bed at any given time. No, the dealer is repairing it. I went to pick it up today, drove it for about 5 minutes and the transmission starting smoking. I brought it back to dealer and they don't know what's wrong. HELP!

Causes of overheating are incorrect fluid level. Lack of torque converter operation. Cooler restriction. Valves in the valve body binding and not allowing correct operation of the clutches and torque converter. If the forward clutches were fried then you had a pressure loss in the system which is either caused by a bad seal or lack of EPC pressure or stuck valves in the valve body. The converter turned blue do to the extensive heat. A converter will turn blue when the transmission usually gets over 300 degrees F. There should have been enough internal damage to replace the transmission with a new one since it is under 12k miles. When a trans overheats you have to spend a lot of extra time in making sure everything is perfect. There is usually a lot of damage to the internal parts the coolers and the case. 2k lbs isnot excessive for this truck. You most likely have had a problem since new and it has taken this long for the trans to mass fail. So in summary it was not overhauled right and if it were at my dealership I would have found more than enough damage to replace the unit.

PLEASE REPLY IF NEEDED

your answer is available