Marc
Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel
Experience:  32 years exp. Automotive repairs on Ford cars and trucks
44459

How do I replace my manual clutch in my 1982 Ford F100 ...

Customer Question

How do I replace my manual clutch in my 1982 Ford F100 truck with a 3 speed tranmission?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Marc replied 7 years ago.
3-speed
  1. Shift the transfer case into Neutral.

2. Remove the bolts attaching the fan shroud to the radiator support, if so equipped.

3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

4. Support the transfer case shield with a jack and remove the bolts that attach the shield to the frame side rails. Remove the shield.

5. Drain the transmission and transfer case lubricant. To drain the transmission lubricant, remove the lower extension housing-to-transmission bolt.

6. Disconnect the front and rear driveshafts at the transfer case.

7. Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transfer case.

8. Disconnect the T.R.S. switch, if so equipped.

9. Disconnect the shift rods from the transmission shift levers. Place the First/Reverse gear shift lever into the First gear position and insert the fabricated tool. The tool consists of a length of rod, the same diameter as the holes in the shift levers, which is bent in such a way to fit in the holes in the two shift levers and hold them in the position stated above. More important, this tool will prevent the input shaft roller bearings from dropping into the transmission and output shaft. THIS TOOL IS A MUST.

10. Support the engine with a jack.

11. Remove the two cotter pins, bolts, washers, plate and insulators that secure the crossmember to the transfer case adapter.

12. Remove the crossmember-to-frame side support attaching bolts.

13. Position a transmission jack under the transfer case and remove the upper insulators from the crossmember. Remove the crossmember.

14. Roll back the boot enclosing the transfer case shift linkage. Remove the threaded cap holding the shift lever assembly to the shift bracket. Remove the shift lever assembly.

15. Remove the two lower bolts attaching the transmission to the flywheel housing.

16. Reposition the transmission jack under the transmission and secure it with a chain.

17. Remove the two upper bolts securing the transmission to the flywheel housing. Move the transmission and transfer case rearward and downward out of the vehicle.

18. Move the assembly to a bench and remove the transfer case-to-transmission attaching bolts.

19. Slide the transmission assembly off the transfer case.

20. See Figures 4, 5, 6 and 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 4: Disassembled view of the clutch assembly, 1982-83 F-100-350 and Bronco except with 351M, 400, 460 cu. in. and 6.9L diesel engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 5: Disassembled view of the clutch assembly, 1982-83 F-100-350 and Bronco with 351M and 400 cu. in. engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 6: Disassembled view of the clutch assembly, 1984-86 F-150-350 and Bronco except 6.9L diesel and 7.5L (460 cu. in.) engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 7: Disassembled view of the clutch assembly, 1983-86 F-250 with 6.9L diesel and 7.5L (460 cu. in.) engines

1. Disconnect the release lever retracting spring and pushrod assembly at the lever. Remove starter.

2. Refer to the appropriate transmission part of this information for instructions and remove the transmission from the vehicle.

3. If the clutch housing is not provided with a dust cover, remove the starter. Remove the flywheel housing attaching bolts and remove the housing.

4. If the flywheel housing is provided with a dust cover, remove it from the housing. Remove the release lever and release bearing from the clutch housing.

5. Loosen the pressure plate and cover attaching bolts evenly until the pressure plate springs are expanded, and remove the bolts.

6. Remove the pressure plate and cover assembly and the clutch disc from the flywheel or through the opening in the bottom of the clutch housing. Remove the pilot bearing only for replacement.

To install:

1. Position the clutch disc on the flywheel so that the pilot tool can enter the clutch pilot bearing and align the disc.

2. When installing the original pressure plate and cover assembly, align the assembly and flywheel according to the marks made during the removal operations. Position the pressure plate and cover assembly on the flywheel, align the pressure plate and disc, and install the retaining bolts that fasten the assembly to the flywheel. Tighten the bolts to 20-30 ft.lb., and remove the clutch disc pilot tool.

3. Position the clutch release bearing and the bearing hub on the release lever. Install the release lever on the pivot bar pedestal in the flywheel housing. Apply a light film of lithium base grease ESA-M1C75-B or equivalent to the release lever fingers and to the lever pivot ball. Fill the annular groove of the release bearing hub with grease.

4. If the flywheel housing has been removed, position it against the engine rear cover plate and install the attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 40-50 ft.lb.

5. Install the starter motor. Install the transmission assembly on the clutch housing. Tighten the bolts.

6. Adjust the release lever pushrod assembly. Connect the release lever retracting spring.

7. Install the clutch housing dust cover if so equipped.

To install the transmission:

1. Position the transfer case to the transmission. Apply an oil resistant sealer to the bolt threads and install the attaching bolts. Tighten to 42-50 ft.lb.

2. Position the transmission and transfer case on a transmission jack and secure them with a chain.

3. Raise the transmission and transfer case assembly into position and install the transmission case to the flywheel housing.

4. Install the two upper and two lower transmission attaching bolts and torque them to 37-42 ft.lb.

5. Position the transfer case shift lever and install the threaded cap to the shift bracket. Reposition the rubber boot.

6. Raise the transmission and transfer case high enough to provide clearance for installing the crossmember. Position the upper insulators to the crossmember and install the crossmember-to-frame side support attaching bolts.

7. Align the bolt holes in the transfer case adapter with those in the crossmember, then lower the transmission and remove the jack.

8. Install the crossmember-to-transfer case adapter bolts, nuts, insulators, plates and washers. Tighten the nuts and secure them with cotter pins.

9. Remove the engine jack.

10. Remove the fabricated tool and connect each shift rod to its respective lever on the transmission. Adjust the linkage.

11. Connect the speedometer cable.

12. Connect the T.R.S. switch, if so equipped.

13. Install the front and rear driveshafts to the transfer case.

14. Fill the transmission and transfer case to the bottom of the filler hole with the recommended lubricant.

15. Position the transfer case shield to the frame side rails and install the attaching bolts.

16. Lower the vehicle.

17. Install the fan shroud, if so equipped.

18. Check the operation of the transfer case and transmission shift linkage

19. .