Marc, Technician, Auto, Diesel
Experience:  32 years exp. Automotive repairs on Ford cars and trucks

1988 Ford Bronco II: fuel system, car starts..stalls..fuel filter

I have a 1988 Ford Bronco II. Problem with fuel system, car starts up but then stalls, I hear a whir in the tank prior to starting. I have replaced the fuel filter. I've attached a fuel pressure gauge which registers 40psi (KOEO). Upon starting its drops and rebounds anywhere from 3-10psi. Since the B2 has a high pressure external pump ... how do I verify its operation. Thanks, Greg

Will it run at all or always starts and stalls?

Does it hold fuel pressure when you shut the key off?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: When you shut the key off, the fuel pressure is held steady, at around 36-38 psi. I forgot to add that after the car is started, you have to keep pumping the accelerator pedal to keep the engine running but the engine power continues to decline until finally the engine dies.

Is the check engine light on you probably have a load of codes stored but there may be something there that will put you on the right path.

Fuel pressure is with in specs even the 3-10 drop once running

Might try unplugging the map sensor to see if it runs better unplugged .(unplug the electric plug)

Also see if the EGR valve is stuck open.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
There is no check engine lite on.
Does it come on for the bulb check with KOEO