Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

1999 ford escort: I need to find out how to take it out

I am replacing 1999 ford escort heating core, I need to find out how to take it out
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 7 years ago.
Hi there, do you know if it has the 1.8 or 1.9 or 2.0l engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I think it is a 2.0
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure if you received answer. I believe itis a 2.0

Ok here are the instructions for both,,

1.8 and 1.9L engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped, disable the SRS system.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Disconnect the heater hoses at the firewall.

4. Remove the instrument panel.

5. Disconnect the mode selector and temperature control cables from the cams and retaining clips.

Fig. 1: Exploded view of the heater core mounting-1991-95 models

1. Remove the necessary defroster duct screws and loosen the capscrew that secures the heater-to-blower clamp.

2. Remove the three heater unit mounting nuts and disconnect the antenna lead from the retaining clip.

3. Remove the heater unit.

4. Remove the insulator and the four brace capscrews.

5. Remove the brace.

6. Remove the heater core from the heater unit.

To install:

1. Install the heater core into the heater unit.

2. Install the brace.

3. Install the brace capscrews and the insulator.

4. Place the heater unit into position, then attach the defroster and floor ducting.

5. Install the heater unit mounting nuts.

6. Tighten the heater-to-blower clamp capscrew and install the defroster duct screws.

7. Connect the antenna lead to the retaining clip.

8. Install the instrument panel.

9. Connect and adjust the mode selector and temperature control cables.

10. Connect the heater hoses at the firewall.

11. Fill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.

12. Start the engine and check for leaks.

13. Check the coolant level and fill as necessary.

2.0L engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.

4. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core at the firewall.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Unfasten the clamps and disconnect the hoses from the heater core at the firewall-2.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: If equipped, unplug the vacuum control motor's vacuum connector-2.0L engines

1. Remove the instrument panel.

2. Disconnect the antenna lead from the heater core housing.

3. If equipped, unplug the vacuum control motor vacuum connector.

4. If equipped, unplug the vacuum lines from the A/C evaporator housing retainer.

5. Remove the windshield defroster nozzle connectors as follows:

1. Remove the pushpins.

2. Unfasten the defroster nozzle connector screws and remove the nozzle connectors.

6. Unfasten the A/C evaporator outlet duct clamp screw and the lower heater core housing retaining nut.

7. Unfasten the upper heater core housing retaining nuts and remove the heater core housing.

8. Remove the heater dash panel seal.

9. Unfasten the heater core cover screws and remove the cover.

10. Remove the heater core.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Location of the heater core cover retaining screws-2.0L engines

To install:

1. Install the heater core.

2. Install the heater core cover and tighten the retainers to 15-17 inch lbs. (1.7-2.0 Nm).

3. Install the heater dash panel seal.

4. Install the heater core housing and tighten the upper retaining nuts to 38-54 inch lbs. (4-6 Nm).

5. Install and tighten the lower heater core housing retaining nut to 38-54 inch lbs. (4-6 Nm).

6. Install and tighten the A/C evaporator outlet duct clamp screw.

7. Install the windshield defroster nozzle connectors as follows:

1. Install the nozzle connectors and tighten the screws.

2. Install the pushpins.

8. If equipped, attach the vacuum lines to the A/C evaporator housing retainer.

9. If equipped, attach the vacuum control motor vacuum connector.

10. Connect the antenna lead from the heater core housing.

11. Install the instrument panel.

12. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core at the firewall.

13. Install the air cleaner outlet tube.

14. Fill the cooling system.

15. Connect the negative battery cable.

16. Start the car and check for leaks.

If i have helped to answer your question, please click on accept, if you have further questions about this, click on reply.

Thanks for asking!

V W

Virtual Wrench (L J), Ford Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic