Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ years experience as a professional technician ; ASE L1 master Technician

what effect does a bad egr valve have on a car

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

If the EGR valve sticks in the open position, it will make the engine idle very roughly and/ or stall at idle.

If the EGR valve sticks in the closed position or fails to open, it will cause detonation (rattling noise on acceleration) and above normal cylinder temperatures which can lead to internal mechanical damage to pistons, valves, and cylinder heads. It will also result in a dramatic increase in oxides of nitrogen emissions, which will cause the vehicle to fail state emissions testing.

I hope this is helpful; if so, please click my accept button and leave positive feedback! Thanks!