musicbuff
musicbuff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ford master tech. A.S.E master recertified

1994 F150 xlt: cab truck, 2wd with automatic transmission..front end

Customer Question

I have a 1994 F150 xlt extended cab truck, 2wd with automatic transmission. Whenever I make a turn in either direction there is a popping sound coming from my front end. It also does it sometimes when I hit bumps too hard. What could this be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  musicbuff replied 7 years ago.

DIAGNOSIS

Before replacing the bearings, the following checks should be made:

1. Hold the steering wheel in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and rock the wheel (without rotating it) about its center, checking for the clicking noise.
  2. Repeat while holding the wheel in the 12 and 6 o'clock positions.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If the noise does not occur with the above checks, the noise is due to another component such as the clockspring and this TSB article does not apply. If the noise does occur, install the Upper Steering Column Bearing Kit (F6AZ-3605-AA) which includes silver plated upper steering column bearings. Refer to Instruction Sheet 7162 provided in the Upper Steering Column Bearing Kit for replacement procedure.

The Upper Steering Column Bearing Kit (F6AZ-3605-AA)

Or

A SIMILAR NOISE CAN OCCUR AT THE TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE ATTACHMENTS AND SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THIS REPAIR PROCEDURE.

1. Remove transmission weight:
    1. Remove bolts attaching transmission mount to the crossmember.
    2. Lift the transmission to remove any load to the crossmember. The crossmember should now be completely loose.

YOU MAY NOTICE THE FRAME RAILS TWIST SLIGHTLY AND "RELAX" AFTER THIS NEXT STEP.

2. Loosen crossmember:
    1. Loosen all bolts attaching the crossmember to the frame siderails.
    2. Loosen all bolts attaching the crossmember gusset(s) to the crossmember and to the frame siderails. The crossmember should now be completely loose.
  3. Turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock and then straighten the wheels. This helps to remove any stress in the frame.
  4. Install new crossmember fastening hardware one at a time and replace each nut and bolt with a new Nut (N800937-S427) and Bolt (N802114-S2) and leave them loosely assembled until all crossmember and gusset fasteners have been replaced.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE FOLLOWING TIGHTENING SEQUENCE BE FOLLOWED.

5. Secure the crossmember attaching hardware. Determine which style of crossmember the vehicle is equipped with, and follow Step 6 or 7.
  6. If the vehicle has a wraparound-style crossmember (Figure 7), torque each grouping of fasteners in the order listed in the following Substeps to 70 ±10.5 N-m (52 ±8 lb-ft).

1. Torque all three (3) bolts/nuts at the crossmember-to-frame siderail at the wraparound side (Figure 7, Number 1).
    2. Torque the gusset-to-frame bolts (Figure 7, Number 2).
    3. Torque the crossmember-to-frame bolts (Figure 7, Number 3).
    4. Torque the gusset-to-crossmember bolts (Figure 7, Number 4).
  7. If the vehicle has a double-gusseted crossmember (Figure 8), torque each grouping of fasteners in the order listed in the following Substeps to 70 ±10.5 N-m (52 ±8 lb-ft) and repeat for the other side.

1. Torque the gusset-to-frame bolts (Figure 8, Number 1).
    2. Torque the crossmember-to-frame bolts (Figure 8, Number 2).
    3. Torque the gusset-to-crossmember bolts (Figure 8, Number 3).
  8. Reattach transmission:
    1. Lower the transmission.
    2. Reattach the transmission using new Nuts (N621945-S2) and torque to 95 ±15 N-m (70 ±11 lb-ft).
  9. Inspect gusset/crossmember joint:
    1. Visually inspect the joint between the gusset and crossmember. If all fasteners have been torqued properly and any gap exists between the two, shim joint with washers.
    2. Reattach the gusset with new Bolts (N802114-S2) and Nuts (N800937-S427) torqued to 70 ±10.5 N-m (52 ±7 lb-ft).

NOTE:ON HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES, IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO UPGRADE THE REPLACEMENT FASTENER TO A 9/16" GRADE 8 TORQUE PREVAILING NUT (34990-S2) AND BOLT (58698-S2) TORQUED TO 190 ±4 N-m (140 ±3 LB-FT).

(E) Radius Arm Brackets

NOTE:USE WARRANTY DEALER CODING: 3B095, AS BASIC PART NO.

1. Inspect and retorque all radius arm bracket bolt(s) to 135 ±20 N-m (100 ±15 lb-ft).

NOTE:IF THE BOLT IS VERY LOOSE AND THE BRACKET IS NOT CLAMPED TIGHTLY, INSPECT THE FRAME AND BRACKET HOLES FOR ELONGATION. IF A BRACKET HOLE IS ELONGATED, THE BRACKET MUST BE REPLACED. IF A FRAME HOLE IS ELONGATED, THE ENTIRE FRAME MUST BE REPLACED, OR THE FRAME AND BRACKET HOLES MUST BE DRILLED OUT TO A LARGER SIZE, NOT TO EXCEED 15mm (19/32"), AND A LARGER NUT AND BOLT MUST BE INSTALLED.

2. Inspect the rivets for looseness. Replace any loose or poorly seated rivets using the following procedure:

NOTE:MOST OFTEN, THE NOISE CAN BE ELIMINATED BY REPLACING ONLY THE MIDDLE RIVET OF THE THREE (3) SECURING THE BRACKET.

1. Remove damaged or loose rivet:
          • Drill a 3.175mm (1/8") hole through the rivet.
          • Redrill the same hole through the shank of the rivet with a 9.525mm (3/8") drill.
          • Remove the rivet head with an air chisel.
          • Drive out the rivet with a punch and hammer.

CAUTION:DO NOT REMOVE THE FASTENER WITH A CUTTING TORCH BECAUSE DAMAGE TO THE FRAME STRUCTURE IS LIKELY TO RESULT.

2. Line ream the hole to the replacement bolt size of 12.7mm (1/2").
        3. Clean hole of burrs after reaming so that the bolt head and nut will seat properly.
        4. Install a new Bolt (N802210-S2) and Nut (N800937-S427), and torque to 133 ±20 N-m (98 ±15 lb-ft).

(F) Spring Towers

NOTE:USE WARRANTY DEALER CODING: 5A306, AS BASIC PART NO.

Inspect the rivets for looseness. Replace any loose or poorly seated rivets using the following procedure.

1. Remove damaged or loose rivet:
        1. Drill a 3.175mm (1/8") hole through the rivet.
        2. Redrill the same hole through the shank of the rivet with a 9.525mm (3/8") drill.
        3. Remove the rivet head with an air chisel.
        4. Drive out the rivet with a punch and hammer.

2. Line ream the hole to the replacement bolt size of 11.113mm (7/16").
      4. Install a new Bolt (56561-S2) and Nut (382400-S2), and torque to 89 ±13 N-m (66 ±10 lb-ft).

(G) Front Leaf Spring Brackets

1. Remove damaged or loose rivet:
        2. Redrill the same hole through the shank of the rivet with a 8.731mm (11/32") drill.

2. Install a new Bolt (58634-S2), two (2) Washers (44877-S2) and a Nut (34987-S2). Torque to 62 ±15 N-m (46 ±11 lb-ft).

(H) Axle Pivot Brackets

Inspect and retorque all axle pivot bracket bolts (torque values may vary by model - refer to the appropriate light truck Service Manual for proper torque specifications).

NOTE:IF THE BOLT IS LOOSE AND THE BRACKET IS NOT CLAMPED TIGHTLY, INSPECT THE FRAME AND BRACKET HOLES FOR ELONGATION. IF A FRAME HOLE IS ELONGATED, THE ENTIRE FRAME MUST BE REPLACED. NO FRAME REPAIRS ARE AUTHORIZED ON THESE #1 CROSSMEMBER HOLES.