Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

AT START UP ALL GAUGES, TACH SPEEDO.

AT START UP ALL GAUGES, TACH SPEEDO. ETC. MAX OUT AND THEN RETURN TO NORMAL RANGE. IT IS A 1999 4.6 AUTO. 4X4.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.
give me the vin# XXXXX check your numbers and letters to make sure i get the right #
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris's Post: THE VIN # XXXXX XXXXX

THANKS,Customer

17092 1999-2004 F-150/EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR/LINCOLN LS/2002-2004 THUNDERBIRD - GAUGE SWEEP AT STARTUP
SOME 1999-2004 F-150, EXPEDITION, NAVIGATOR, LINCOLN LS AND 2002-2004 THUNDERBIRD VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT THE CLUSTER PERFORMING A SELF TEST AT INITIAL START UP. EVERY TIME THE KEY IS TURNED TO RUN, THE HEC IS DESIGNED TO PERFORM A SELF TEST. IN ADDITION TO THE BULB CHECK, DEPENDING ON AVAILABLE BATTERY VOLTAGE, ALL GAUGES MAY SWEEP AS WELL. THIS CONDITION IS NORMAL OPERATION. DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/29/2003

15219 GAUGE SWEEP AT START UP
SOME 1999-2001 F-150, EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR VEHICLES, MAY EXHIBIT A CONDITION WHERE ALL THE GAUGES IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WILL SWEEP AT INITIAL START UP. THIS CONDITION IS NORMAL. THE HEC WILL GO INTO QUICK SELF TEST AFTER KEY IS SWITCHED ON. IT TAKES ABOUT ONE SECOND TO PERFORM THIS SELF TEST. ALL GAUGES WILL BEGIN TO SWEEP, MOVING HALF THE DISTANCE BEFORE RETURNING TO ACTUAL VALUE. COMPARE VEHICLE TO LIKE MODEL YEAR VEHICLE FOR VERIFICATION OF CONDITION. NOTE : IF THE BATTERY IN THE VEHICLE IS LOW, THE GAUGES MAY SWEEP A LITTLE SLOWER.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/07/2001

I would check for low nattery voltage at the battery and low battery voltage to the cluster relply if needed

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
ON START UP THE GAUGUES MAX OUT, THEN FALL OFF TO NOTHING, THEN GO TO THE NORMAL RANGE.

HAVE HAD THE TRUCK ALMOST 5 YEARS, THIS IS A NEW DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THE LAST 6 WEEKS OR SO.

THANKS,
Customer

Have you checked your battery voltage it should be at our near 12.6 and with it running the alternator should jump it up to about 14volts also check the voltage at the Instrument cluster According to ford on my last post do not attempt repair. I know if you remove the IC then startup the vehicle the gages sweep also if you disconnect the battery they do the same. Since the gages work after the sweep this proves they are all working, it just means that the IC is not getting power or losing its power while the vehicle is off. So I would not suspect any wiring the only 2 possible causes I can come up with are the PCM around 800 $$$ or the Instrument cluster 900 $$$

HEC Dealer Test Mode

To enter the HEC Dealer Test Mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button and then turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. Continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (five seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer displaying tESt to begin the dealer test mode. Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any continuous DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

Odometer Display Description
GAGE Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster.
All segments illuminated Illuminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster.
bulb Illuminates all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs (low oil pressure/high coolant temperature, low fuel, service engine soon, brake, low range). INSTALL a new bulb or LED as necessary.
r Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; refer to Instrument Cluster.
EE Displays hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; refer to Instrument Cluster.
dt Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
dtc Displays continuous DTCs. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.
enG Displays the English speed in mph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.
m Displays the English speed data (mph) received from the PCM via the SCP network. Displays the metric speed in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.
tAc Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network. Tachometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine rpm is 0.
FUEL Displays the actual A/D fuel level. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically. If the value displayed is between 0 and 20, the circuit is shorted. GO to Pinpoint Test D.
255=open send +/-0
232=Full stop +/-10
215=Full mark +/-10
178=3/4 mark +/-8
138=1/2 mark +/-7
93=1/4 mark +/-5
41=E mark +/-4
54="LOW FUEL" (0-59)
0-18=short (0-20 max.)

OIL Displays the code (0-255) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Displays the oil pressure reading input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6 psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure (less than 6 psi) or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch will display a value greater than 176.
dEGC Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor. If the value displayed is -40C, the SCP message for engine temperature has not been received for more than 5 seconds. GO to Pinpoint Test E.
49 C="C" mark.
60 C=Normal band start.
120 C=Normal band end.
119 C=Temperature warning indicator ON.
"-40" C=No SCP Message for 5 sec.

br Displays the brake fluid level input to the HEC.
bAtt Displays the code (0-255) battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102=6.9-9.1 volts (Low voltage)
115-124=8.5-10.7 volts (Norm band start)
215-225=15.8-18 volts (Norm band end)
230-241=16.9-19.1 volts (High voltage)

rhEo Displays the present hexadecimal value for the instrument cluster backlighting pulse width modulated (PWM) input to the HEC (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
rhi
rhS
rho PWM input duty cycle.
SCP hexadecimal dimming step (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
Output driver counts in hexadecimal format (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
Cr Displays the present RUN/START sense input. Display will show -L with the ignition switch in the START position and -h with the ignition switch in the RUN position.
ALtFa Displays 8-bit hexadecimal value for alternate fuel level. Display will show a value between OO and FF if the message is received.
PA-PE7 Not used.
GAGE Repeats test display cycle.

a Refer to 413-01B (F250 only).

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position or press and hold the SELECT/RESET button for three or more seconds and release to exit HEC Dealer Test Mode. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.