Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

pats code 16 what does it mean

Customer Question

2000 mustang wouldn't start this morning, no spark. Theft keeps flashing fast then flashes the code 1 - 6.
Same key I always use, no changes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 10 years ago.
Does your car have any Aftermarket Equipment Installed ? ( remote Start, Alarm, Stereo, AMP, etc. )
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: All stock and has stock remote key fob.
Expert:  Lurch replied 10 years ago.

If you Only have 1 Ignition Key, you may need to have the Car towed to Ford to have a Factory Original Key made & Programmed into the PATS / Computer. The Key /s you have may not be the ORIGINAL Ford Key & may be Duplicate/s which will cause same problem.

Here is Diagnosis Chart. You may need Scanner to complete some of the Diagnosis.
You also may be money ahead to have the Ford Service Scan & Program your Key/s, or a New Key, as the Factory Original.

NOTE:

THE ONLY FORD QUALIFIED PATS KEYS ARE THOSE MANUFACTURED BY: FORD ROTUNDA, ILCO, STRATTEC, HUF, AND VALEO. OTHER AFTERMARKET KEYS ARE NOT FORD QUALIFIED AND CAN CAUSE PATS ISSUES.

NOTE:

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1260 IN THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) IS A DIRECTION TO RETRIEVE FAULT CODES FROM PATS. RETRIEVE FAULT CODES FROM THE APPROPRIATE PATS FUNCTION (PATS/HEC/VIC/ICM/SCIL) AND FOLLOW THOSE PINPOINT PROCEDURES BEFORE ANY FURTHER PCM DIAGNOSIS.

NOTE:

ERASING AND REPROGRAMMING THE CUSTOMER'S IGNITION KEYS DOES NOT CURE ANY KNOWN INTERMITTENT PATS NO START ISSUE. DO NOT SIMPLY REPROGRAM IGNITION KEYS IF A FAULT CANNOT BE IDENTIFIED.

NOTE:

VEHICLES WITH PATS TYPE A, B, OR C SEND AN ENABLE MESSAGE TO THE PCM IF THE PROPER CONDITIONS ARE MET. THE PCM THEN ALLOWS FUEL INJECTOR AND FUEL PUMP OPERATION. THE PROPER CONDITIONS ARE: 1) A VALID KEY READ FOR PATS TYPES A, B, AND C, AND 2) PROPER PATS-PCM INITIALIZATION FOR PATS TYPES B AND C. REFER TO CHART FOR DETAILS ON THE REQUIRED INITIALIZATION.

NOTE:

SOME VEHICLES WITH PATS TYPE B OR C MAY INCLUDE A STARTER INTERRUPT (SI). THESE VEHICLES DO NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO EXHIBIT A NO CRANK SITUATION TO CONSTITUTE A PATS RELATED NO START.

NOTE:

CHECK FOR A REMOTE VEHICLE STARTER AND REMOVE ANY SUCH EQUIPMENT FROM THE VEHICLE BEFORE CONTINUING DIAGNOSIS.

NOTE:

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: That is general information on what can be done and what to look for when there is a problem with the PATS system. I wanted to know what exactly the PATS code is for 1 - 6 flashes of the 'theft' indicator.

I was hoping that might lead to what caused this problem.
Expert:  Lurch replied 10 years ago.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Theft Light does Not Flash any Codes

The Pats Ring is Not identifiying your Ignition Transponder in the Key.........

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: So it is flashing:
1 pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 long pause, 1 pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 long pause, 1 pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 short pause 1 long pause

Over and over because it wants me to think there is a code so I'll ask here and transfer money here only to find out that it's not a code.
Those Ford engineers are really forward thinking, they must all be working here!
Expert:  Lurch replied 10 years ago.

If it is the Theft Light Flashing, It does Not Flash a Code.........It is the PATS System that sets up the Flashing & means nothing for Repair or Service.

You should have the Vehicle Scaned with the DRB Scanner for DTC's regardless if the Vehicle Starts or when you have it Repaired.