LBS Tech
LBS Tech, Ford Auto Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tecnician,ASE Master Tech and L1 Certified, Ford Certified Diesel Tech

1993 FORD RANGER: YOU PULL THE ROTORS OFF..WHEEL DRIVE

Customer Question

HI. 1993 FORD RANGER HOW DO YOU PULL THE ROTORS OFF FOR REPLACEMENT XXXXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  LBS Tech replied 7 years ago.
Do you have manual or Auto hubs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to LBS Tech's Post: I have auto hub turnXXXXXon from inside the truck
Expert:  LBS Tech replied 7 years ago.

graphic

With Automatic Locking Hubs

Raise the vehicle and install safety stands.
Remove the wheel lugnuts and the wheel and tire assembly.
Remove the retainer washers from the lugnut studs. Remove the automatic locking hub assembly from the spindle.
Remove the snap ring from the end of the spindle shaft.
graphic

Remove the axle shaft spacer.

graphic

Being careful not to damage the plastic moving cam or thrust spacers, pull cam assembly off the wheel bearing adjusting nut and remove the two plastic thrust spacers from the adjusting nut. CAUTION: Do not pry on the plastic cam or thrust spacers during removal. Prying may damage the cam or spacers.
Using a magnet, remove the locking key. NOTE: If required, rotate the adjusting nut slightly to relieve pressure against the locking key, before the key can be removed. CAUTION: To prevent damage to the spindle threads, look into the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut and remove the separate locking key before removing the adjusting nut.
Loosen the wheel bearing adjusting nut from the spindle using a 2-3/8 inch Hex Locknut Wrench T70T-4252-B or equivalent.

graphic

While rotating the hub and rotor assembly, tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut to 47 Nm (35 ft lb) to seat the bearings. Spin the rotor and back off the nut one-quarter turn (90 degrees).
Retighten the adjusting nut to 1.8 Nm (16 in lb) using a torque wrench.
Align the closest lug in the wheel bearing adjusting nut with the center of the spindle keyway slot. Advance the nut to the next lug if required. Install the separate locking key in the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut. WARNING: Extreme care must be taken when aligning the spindle nut adjustment lug with the center of the spindle keyway slot to prevent damage to the separate locking key. The wheel and tire assembly may come off while the vehicle is in motion if the key is damaged.

graphic

Install the two thrust spacers and push or press the cam assembly onto the locknut by lining up the key in the fixed cam with the spindle keyway. CAUTION: Extreme care must be taken when aligning the fixed cam key with the spindle keyway to prevent damage to the fixed cam.
Install the axle shaft spacer.
Clip the snap ring onto the end of the spindle shaft.
graphic

Install the automatic locking hub assembly over the spindle by lining up the three hub assembly legs with three pockets in cam assembly. Install the retainer washers.
Install the wheel and tire assembly. Install and tighten lugnuts to 135 Nm (100 ft lb).
Make sure the final end play of the wheel on the spindle is 0.00-0.08 mm (0.000-0.003 inch). the maximum torque to rotate the hub is 2.8 Nm (25 in lb).

To prevent damage to the spindle during removal, remove adjusting nut locking key from spindle keyway under adjusting nut prior to nut removal. A slight movement of the nut will loosen the locking key so that a magnet can be used for removal. During the front wheel bearing adjustment procedure, align the closest two holes in the wheel bearing adjusting nut with the center of the spindle keyway slot. Advance the nut to the next hole if required. To ensure proper wheel retention, install adjusting nut locking key in alignment with spindle keyway and insert into locknut holes. The double humped portion must be completely seated and flush with the locknut assembly.