AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1985 ford: getting power to the inigtion coil..theres

I have a 1985 ford crown vic and I am getting power to the inigtion coil but theres no spark coming out of the coil what could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Greetings! The coil could be bad! Have u changed it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I already changed the coil
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Ok, now, we are going to need to check the inputs to the computer. Do u have any diagnostic equitment?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I dont have diagnostic equipment but i can get it and when I do what inputs do i check?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like u have a bad pick up in the distributor.

IF this if fuel injected you are going to need to check for fuel trigger. If none is present, it sounds like the cam or crank signal is bad in the distributor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: The distributor with all interal parts is brand new but i dont know if it is timed, will that effect the coil from firing
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Yes! the module is in control of that. And that is in the distributor. I would rec to get it timed first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: how do i get it in back in time
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
You are going to have to put # XXXXX cylinder at top dead center and make sure the rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Well after that, you will need to use a timing light. Do u have one?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: how do you know where number one is on the cap is
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Would you like a diagram?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: how do i know where number one on the cap is
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: where is number one on the cap
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
h
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I have a 5.0 is this the right info because i see 5.8l
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Yes. In the picture it gives the firing order for both. Look close. It is about in the middle of the picture
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I still thought full there is 12 volts to the coil it should fire no matter what
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Your right! It should! Seeing how u replaced it, As long as it is good, and there is a signal going to it, it should fire. THat is why I dont think there is a signal. This is why I think the pick up is bad!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: The pick-up is in the distributor right and if it is how do i check it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Yes! Normaly they are. But you might just have a crank sensor located by the harmonic balancer. They both can be checked with a lab scope
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: does this car have a crank sensor
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Yes!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Does the cranksensor control the coil.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if the crank sensor is not working, that you will not have spark
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Would a scan tool tell me there is a bad crank sensor
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
It is possible. Just look at the rpm as your cranking over. If it stays at 0, than either the sensor is bad or the wiring.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: In what way does the crank sensor control the coil
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
The crank sensor gives the ignition module a signal which in turn gives the coil a signal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: The voltage regulator would not have anything to do with the coil would it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
no
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Is there anything else that will cause the coil not to fire
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
A bad ignition module or wiring
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: How ould i know if the wiring is bad
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
To be honest, u will have to do a continuity test on all the wires with a multimeter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: do you know where the location of the data link connector for the ecu
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
It will be located under the hood along the passenger side or drivers side fender
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Can you provide a picture of it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 years ago.
j
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector