LBS Tech
LBS Tech, Ford Auto Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tecnician,ASE Master Tech and L1 Certified, Ford Certified Diesel Tech

1997 Ford Escort: driveway..park..hole..tihe shift lever and push down

Customer Question

My 1997 Ford Escort is suddenly stuck in my driveway because the gearshift is locked in park. The ownwers manual goes on to say that autoamtic transaxle vehicles are equipped with a shift lock safety override it you push a screwdriver into a small hole next tihe shift lever and push down. Tried that for over an hr and one half - nada -didin't work.   I also checked the fuses, they seemed to be ok. Yes, I pushed the brake pedal down when trying to move the shift lever.

I'm stumped and my car has been sitting their for over 2 weeks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  LBS Tech replied 10 years ago.

Do your brake lights work? If not replace the brake light switch and check the connector for broken wires. If they are ok you will need to check power at the shift interlock solenoid with the brakse pedal depressed if ok you need a shift lock solenoid.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to LBS Tech's Post: 1. my brake lights do work

2. how do I "check power at the shift lock solenoid" (with brake pedal depressed); also, if "ok" means what?