HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

1999 Ford Escort ZX2: a manul 5-speed transmission

Customer Question

Is it possible to change the Transmission fluid(gear Fluid) on a 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 with a manul 5-speed transmission? And how do you do it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.

yes, it is just a drain and fill on a manual trans.There will be a drain plug on the bottom of the trans and you fill it through the vehicle speed sensor:

LEVEL CHECK

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

The vehicle speed sensor (speedometer gear), which is located on the transaxle, serves as the manual transaxle's dipstick.

1. Park the car on a level surface, turn the engine OFF and apply the parking brake.

2. Locate the speedometer cable assembly where it enters the transaxle.

3. Unplug the electrical connection from the vehicle speed sensor (speedometer gear).

4. Disconnect the speedometer cable from the speed sensor.

5. Wipe the area around the speed sensor with a clean rag, then loosen the speed sensor retaining bolt.

6. Gently pry the speed sensor from the transaxle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Location of the manual transaxle's fluid level marks-1.8L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Location of the manual transaxle's fluid level marks-1.9L and 2.0L engines

1. Check the condition of the speed sensor O-ring and replace it if it is damaged.

2. Check the fluid level on the speed sensor as illustrated.

3. If the level is low, place a funnel in the speed sensor hole.

4. Add the specified fluid to the transaxle until the FULL level is reached. Do not overfill the transaxle.

5. Install the speed sensor and tighten the retaining bolt to 69-104 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).

6. Connect the speedometer cable.

7. Engage the speed sensor electrical connection.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: If necessary, add transmission fluid through a funnel into the speed sensor opening

DRAIN & REFILL

See Figures 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Location of the manual transaxle drain plug-1.8L and 1.9L engines

1. Locate the speedometer cable assembly where it enters the transaxle.

2. Remove the speed sensor from the transaxle, as outlined in the manual transaxle fluid level check procedure.

3. Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands.

4. Place a suitable drain pan under the transaxle.

5. Clean the area around the drain plug with a clean rag.

6. Remove the transaxle drain plug and washer. Allow the fluid to completely drain into the pan.

7. Install the drain plug with a new washer and tighten it to 29-43 ft. lbs. (40-58 Nm) on 1.8L and 1.9L engines. On 2.0L engines, tighten the drain plug to 29-40 ft. lbs. (39-54 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Location of the manual transaxle drain plug (arrow)-2.0L engines

1. Lower the car.

2. Fill the transaxle as outlined in the manual transaxle fluid level check procedure, earlier in this section.

3. Install the speed sensor in the transaxle.

4. Road test the car and check for proper transaxle operation.