Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

my brake light fuse keeps blowing, do you have any idea ...

my brake light fuse keeps blowing, do you have any idea where to even start looking for the problem?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your ford?
-What model is your ford?
-How many miles are on your ford?
-What type of engine is in your ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: 98 Ford f150, 140,000miles. first we checked the fuses and couldn't find one blown so we changed the brake light switch under the brake pedal. that didn't fix it so we changed the neutral safety switch, cause we couldn't get it out of park. then we checked fuses again and found a blown one and changed it and it worked for about 2 days then it blew another fuse. Now right when you change the fuse it blows it immediatly.

Thanks

I would next check the brake switch on the brake master cylinder under the hood. Ford has a recall for this concern. Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: is this something that ford would fix for me under the recall?

Thanks

If that is the cause yes. If you give me the VIN# XXXXX can check to see if your truck is on the list.

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: 1ftzx1762wna36402

Thanks

05S28

Here is the recall # XXXXX yes your truck is involved. But, you need to make sure that this is causing your fuse to pop. Just unplug the switch at the master cylinder and see if that stops popping the fuse. If it does not, then that is not it. But I still would go to the dealer to have this recall done, because of a possible fire.

Let me know if by unplugging the switch if it stops blowing the fuse.

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: we are out of Good fuses, so we will pick some up and try it in the morning, we are on our way to work. someone said it might be the 3rd brake light getting water in it causing the trouble. What do you think about that? I'll let you know what we find out soon, thanks for your help. I didn't get anything in the mail about a recall on this, is it a new recall? You said here's the recall # XXXXX it wasn't there.

Thanks

Yes it is possible, but I really think the switch at the master is probably your concern.

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: I will check that as soon as I get new fuses, thanks
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
the fuse isn't blowing when I unplug the wire on the switch on the side of the master cylinder but what is the wire on the bottom of the cylinder for? which one is the cruise deactivator? I have the recall letter for it.

Thanks

This is the switch for the recall.

The other wires are for the brake fluid level. I would get the recall done to get that out of the way first, and it is free!

Thanks

Fordanswerman

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Fordanswerman's Post: we took the truck to the dealer and they replaced the switch and put a new harness on it and I think it took care of our problem! at least we haven't blown another fuse yet! I appreciate your time and help! Thanks again, glenda