Brian
Brian, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  5 years Ford Technical Hotline/Service Engineer. 2005 Ford Master Cert. Automotive Technology degree
367936

Front and back), rotor calipers, and break pads (including the cost

How much would it cost to replace rotors (front and back), rotor calipers, and break pads (including the cost of labor)? Thanks!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your ford?
-What model is your ford?
-How many miles are on your ford?
-What type of engine is in your ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: 1. My ford is aXXXXXrd.

2. I currently have 107,500 miles on the car.

3. The engine is a 6 cylinder (but I'm not positive..it could be a 4)

4. I have tried a few other mechanics within the area.    
Thanks!
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry, I need to know the model name of the car mainly, like Escort, Mustang, etc. Not sure what you mean by "rd."
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: Oh, sorry. I have a 1998 red Ford Explorer-2 door. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Are you sure you need to replace all the brake calipers? That will add significant expense. Typically that is not necessary unless something is wrong. The calipers are the parts that squeeze the brake pads against the rotors. They sometimes get stuck, but it is not usually seen on all 4 calipers. They do not all have to be replaced as a set. It is fine to just replace the bad ones.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: Hi Brian,

Yes, all 4 calipers definitely need to be replaced. I live in Boston so it is very likely that the salt from harsh winters has erroded some of the parts faster than normal. As for now, I'm hoping that the mechanic is being honest and that I definitely do need it. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: Hi Brian,

Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
It's possible that they could be badly rusted, but usually a braking problem like dragging brakes will be noticed if the calipers or caliper slides are bad. It's better to be on the safe side though. Some rust is normal, but those Northeast winters really can create some thick flaky rust. I personally have not heard of any vehicles that had all 4 calipers go bad due to rust, but I am from the Midwest. You should contact some other shops in your area and ask them if they run into this type of problem where all the calipers are affected. The calipers are made of thick cast metal, so the rust would really have to penetrate deeply to cause a problem. Unless the issue is that the caliper bolts are rusted in place and he can't get them off without damaging them. Ask him to describe why the calipers need to be replaced, and write down what he says. Let us know, and we can help determine if he is being truthful.

Loaded calipers (loaded means they come with pads) range in price from about $65-200 a piece, depending on the brand and whether they are new parts or remanufactured. Either is acceptable, price is the main factor. You may not have a choice on the parts if the mechanic chooses them. If he supplies the parts, there will be a markup beyond what you would pay at a parts store. Typical markup is about 1/3.

Rotors are about $30-110, depending on brand, and whether it is 4x4. The 2-wheel drive vehicles require a more expensive rotor than the 4-wheel drive. The cheaper brands tend to use lesser quality metal, which would rust more readily, so you might want to make sure that they select good brand name rotors like Motorcraft, Bendix, or Raybestos.

It would probably take about 4-5 hours at $50-70 dollars an hour (this is an average labor rate--it may be higher in Boston, so ask around if you're not sure). The mechanic should be basing his estimate from a labor time book that says how long it should take to change out all these parts. Each job in the book is assigned an hour value, like changing the caliper will pay 1.0 hour or changing the rotor will pay .5 hours. Then he will multiply the time by 4 if he is changing all of them. This is just a basic explanation of how he should be doing it. Some mechanics will price it by the job if it does not fit into a regular type category, or if it becomes way too expensive by using book times.

So it is really hard to say if you are getting a good price. There are so many variables in parts cost and labor cost. You mainly want to make sure he does a good job and stands behind his work. It's better to pay a bit more than to be stuck with poor quality repairs. Cheap parts will wear out quicker, and then you are paying again for the same job sooner. Try to get some references and talk to other customers to get a better feel for the mechanic's business practices. And take into account the appearance of the shop. Look for a professional type atmosphere and avoid the shops where no one cares enough to keep them somewhat clean and organized.

Please press Accept to confirm this answer is helpful. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: Wow! Awesome response! One last thing, does $1178 sound about right or at least somewhat average of a price? The employees are very helpful and the garage looks very reputable, but I just wasn't sure how much something like this would range in price.I didn't even realize there were so many different brands of rotos, who knew?!Thanks again Brian, you were extremely helpful!
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
I would say that is reasonable. It sounds like you have picked out a good shop, I hope that you won't have to mess with those brakes for a long time after this!

You're welcome! Please remember to press the Accept button, thanks!
Brian, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 5 years Ford Technical Hotline/Service Engineer. 2005 Ford Master Cert. Automotive Technology degree