HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

How do I replace a clutch in a 1992 Ford F-150?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 11

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Remove the inspection plug to view the clutch assembly components

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: View of the clutch assembly with the transmission removed

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Always use a clutch pilot tool during removal or installation of the clutch assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Using a holding tool, hold the driveplate and remove the clutch pressure plate-to-driveplate bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: When removing the pressure plate be careful not to allow the fiction disc to drop

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Examine the driveplate for cracks, heat spots and scoring

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Using a holding tool, hold the drive plate and remove the driveplate bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Exercise extreme care when removing the driveplate, it is heavy

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: View of the rear engine section with the driveplate removed

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Use a torque wrench to tighten the driveplate bolts and a crisscross pattern

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: With the clutch pilot tool in place, use a torque wrench to tighten the pressure plate-to-driveplate bolts

1990-96

See Figures 18, 19 and 20

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: Clutch assembly for 1990-96 F-150, F-250, and Bronco with the 4.9L, 5.0L and 5.8L engines, except with the Borg-Warner T-18 transmission

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 19: Clutch assembly for 1990-93 F-150, F-250, and Bronco with 4.9L, and 5.0L engines, with the Borg-Warner T-18 transmission

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 20: Clutch assembly for 1990-96 F-250 HD, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab and Stripped Chassis with the 7.4L diesel and 7.5L engines

1. Raise and support the truck end on jackstands.

2. On trucks with the externally mounted slave cylinder, remove the clutch slave cylinder. On trucks with an internally mounted slave cylinder, disconnect the quick-disconnect coupling with a spring coupling tool such as T88T-70522-A.

3. Remove the transmission.

4. On models with the internally mounted slave cylinder, remove the starter. Remove the flywheel housing attaching bolts and remove the housing. On models with the externally mounted slave cylinder, remove the cover and then remove the release lever and bearing from the clutch housing. To remove the release lever:

1. Remove the dust boot.

2. Push the release lever forward to compress the slave cylinder.

3. Remove the slave cylinder by prying on the steel clip to free the tangs while pulling the cylinder clear.

4. Remove the release lever by pulling it outward.

5. Mark the pressure plate and cover assembly and the flywheel so that they can be reinstalled in the same relative position.

6. Loosen the pressure plate and cover attaching bolts evenly in a staggered sequence a turn at time until the pressure plate springs are relieved of their tension. Remove the attaching bolts.

7. Remove the pressure plate and cover assembly and the clutch disc from the flywheel.

To install:

1. Position the clutch disc on the flywheel so that an aligning tool or spare transmission mainshaft can enter the clutch pilot bearing and align the disc

1. When reinstalling the original pressure plate and cover assembly, align the assembly and flywheel according to the marks made during removal. Position the pressure plate and cover assembly on the flywheel, align the pressure plate and disc, and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts in an alternating sequence a few turns at a time until the proper torque is reached:

• 10 in. and 12 in. clutch: 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm)

• 11 in. clutch: 20-29 ft. lbs. (27-39 Nm)

1. Remove the tool used to align the clutch disc.

2. With the clutch fully released, apply a light coat of grease on the sides of the driving lugs.

3. Position the clutch release bearing and the bearing hub on the release lever. On the diesel and the 7.5L engine, clean and lubricate the transmission bearing retainer. Install the release lever on the fulcrum in the flywheel housing. Apply a light coating of grease to the release lever fingers and the fulcrum. Fill the groove of the release bearing hub with grease.

4. If the flywheel housing has been removed, position it against the rear engine cover plate and install the attaching bolts and tighten them to 40-50 ft. lbs. (54-68 Nm).

5. Install the starter motor, if removed.

6. Install the transmission.

7. Install the salve cylinder and bleed the system

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Before removing the crossmember bolt, always have the transmission supported

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: With the transmission jack in place, remove the frame-to-crossmember bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Removing the frame-to-crossmember bolts on the opposite side

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Disengage any connectors at the transmission

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: With the transmission jack in place, remove the transmission mount bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Remove the bell housing bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Carefully pull the transmission away from the clutch assembly until the input shaft is completely clear

Mazda M5OD 5-Speed

1. Raise and support the truck on jackstands. Prop the clutch pedal in the full up position with a block of wood.

2. Matchmark the driveshaft-to-flange relation.

3. Disconnect the driveshaft at the rear axle and slide it off of the transmission output shaft. Lubricant will leak out of the transmission so be prepared to catch it, or plug the opening with rags or a seal installation tool.

4. Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transmission.

5. Disconnect the shift rods from the shift levers.

6. Remove the shift control from the extension housing and transmission case.

7. On 4WD drive models, remove the transfer case.

8. Remove the extension housing-to-rear support bolts.

9. Take up the weight of the transmission with a transmission jack. Chain the transmission to the jack.

10. Raise the transmission just enough to take the weight off of the No.3 crossmember.

11. Unbolt the crossmember from the frame rails and remove it.

12. Place a jackstand under the rear of the engine at the bell housing.

13. Lower the jack and allow the jackstand to take the weight of the engine. The engine should be angled slightly downward to allow the transmission to roll backward.

14. Remove the transmission-to bell housing bolts.

15. Roll the jack rearward until the input shaft clears the bell housing. Lower the jack and remove the transmission.

To install:

1. Clean all machined mating surfaces thoroughly.

2. Install a guide pin in each lower bolt hole. Position the spacer plate on the guide pins.

3. Raise the transmission and start the input shaft through the clutch release bearing.

4. Align the input shaft splines with the clutch disc splines. Roll the transmission forward so that the input shaft will enter the clutch disc. If the shaft binds in the release bearing, work the release arm back and forth.

5. Once the transmission is all the way in, install the 2 upper retaining bolts and washers and remove the lower guide pins. Install the lower bolts. Tighten the bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).

6. Raise the transmission just enough to allow installation of the No. 3 crossmember.

7. Install the crossmember on the frame rails. Tighten the bolts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).

8. Lower the transmission onto the crossmember and install the nuts. Tighten the nuts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).

9. Remove the transmission jack.

10. Install the transfer case.

11. Install the shift control on the extension housing and transmission case.

12. Connect the shift rods at the shift levers.

13. Connect the speedometer cable at the transmission.

14. Slide the driveshaft onto the output shaft and connect the driveshaft at the rear axle, aligning the matchmarks.