HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 w/ 4R70W transmission.

115000 miles. Two transmission problems...1)Transmission has a difficult time downshifting from 3rd to 2nd when you are slowing down and then speeding up again. If I manually shift down to 2nd, works OK. The downshift into 2nd usually results in a "bang" into 2nd. Ford could not duplicate the problem when the truck was new, and it has been doing it for a while now....and...2) Recently (starting at 105000 miles) on occasion with the OD on, there seems to be either a shudder or secondary movement of something internally. It's like it shifts one more time even though it's in OD already. With the OD off, there seems to be no problem.    Just trying to get an idea of whether I'm looking at a rebuild or maybe just solenoid problems.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 years ago.
1st concern sounds like a normall characteristic of the trans.Ford has numerous messages about 3-2 downshift and reaccelerating clunk concerns, this is normal for the 4R70W.Nothing to change about it.As far as the shudder, it is just that, a torque convertor shudder on engagement, check the trans fluid, it should be bright red. It is most likely broken down and brown, when the fluid breaks down it becomes oxidized and cannot hold the torque convertor clutch when it applies so it is slipping. Try flushing the trans fluid(all of it will be changed in a flush) and add a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier from a dealer.It is about 7.00 and will help stop the shudder with a convertor with high miles, If it does not go away after about 100 miles, you will need to change the torque convertor.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: The bang or clunk on the 3-2 downshift, in my opinion, cannot be normal, as it is quite loud and you can feel a metal bang. Maybe I'm crazy, but I never had a transmission do that before. It's like it hangs up, then bangs into second. No problem at all on upshifts. As far as the Trans fluid, it is red, not burned, and was changed to Amsoil 100% synthetic at 30000 miles. Amsoil recommendation for change is 3 times normal (3 x 30000) or at 120000 miles in my case. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 years ago.
Only two other possible scenarios I can give you, either the 2-3 accumulator piston seal is failing, it would usually give a slip going into 3rd, not the other way around,and the Overdrive band may be glazed.When you have the truck in OD the only thing different is the OD band does not apply.With the amount of miles on the trans you may have a compounded issue of clutch wear and it makes the noise more pronounced on downshifting,ford came out with a pcm reflash for some newer vehicles but still maintains while driving near the shift point, letting off the throttle and reaccelerating a clunk is normal.