autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance, Ford Senior Master Certification

Why does my gear shifter get stuck?

why does my gear shifter get stuck? I start my car in the morning and try to push the button on the gear shift and it is like it doesn't want to push all the way in so I can put it into gear
Category: Ford
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your ford?
-What model is your ford?
-How many miles are on your ford?
-What type of engine is in your ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: year - 2000
model - escort
miles - 83,500
engine - not sure
I haven't tried anything yet.
Are you pushing in on the brake pedal far enough that the brake lights are coming on before you try to pushing on the button to move the shifter? If you try to push the button on the shifter before pressing the brake pedal sometimes the shift interlock solenoid will not release properly. If you are pressing on the brake pedal first you may have a weak shift interlock solenoid which is located in the console at the bottom of the shifter mechanism.