HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2000 ford escort zx2: 2.0L..My timing belt & timing gear..bolt

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ford escort zx2 with 2.0L engine. My timing belt & timing gear broke and my brother who is a mechanic can fix it, but there is a "cover" with a rounded star shaped bolt covering the timing gear and then it is attached to the cam shaft. How do you remove the timing gear on that is located on the right side cam. The left side cam bolt is easily removed, but the other may require a special tool to remove. My service manual does not show this at all and there is no mention of it in the manual, so it must be unique to the 2.0L. This may be attached to some sort of pump? Any ideas on how to remove that particular timing gear?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.
It is the VCT/Variable Cam timing gear on the exhaust cam, you should not have to take this apart unless it failed. I can list replacing the belt, did the intake cam gear break off the cam? Not sure what you mean.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: yes the VCT failed, the gear turns but the cam does not turn until after the gear turns about 1/4 of a revelution late. We can not tell how to remove the VCT
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.
That sounds about right with the way the vct cam turns, what problem do you have,did the belt just jump?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: Yes, the belt is very loose and needs to be replaced.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.

DOHC ENGINE

See Figures 13 through 21

A camshaft alignment timing tool (No. T94P-6256-CH or equivalent) and a crankshaft Top Dead Center (TDC) timing peg tool (No. T97P-6000-A or equivalent) are required for this procedure.

Make sure the correct notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block. Refer to the accompanying illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: A camshaft alignment timing tool ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 14: ... and a crankshaft TDC timing peg tool are required when removing and installing the timing belt

1. Remove the spark plugs.

2. Rotate the crankshaft to TDC.

3. Locate and remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (refer to the illustration) and install the TDC timing peg.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 15: Remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor and install the TDC timing peg

1. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.

2. Unfasten the splash shields bolts and remove the shield.

3. Lower the car and remove the water pump pulley.

4. Remove the valve cover and the timing belt covers.

5. Align the camshafts and install the camshaft alignment tool on the back of the camshafts as illustrated.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 16: Align the camshafts and install the alignment tool

1. Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt and relieve the tension on the belt by disconnecting the tensioner tab from the timing cover back plate.

2. Slide the belt off the sprockets.

3. Inspect the belt for wear and replace as necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 17: Timing belt routing-2.0L DOHC engine

To install:

1. If, for any reason, the engine was disturbed, the camshafts moved or the sprockets replaced, perform the following procedure:

Make sure the correct notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block.

1. Position the crankshaft just prior to Top Dead Center (TDC).

2. If not already done, locate and remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (refer to the illustration) and install the TDC timing peg.

3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC peg.

Installation of the alignment tool into the exhaust camshaft may require the camshafts to be rotated clockwise.

1. Install the camshaft alignment tool on the back of the camshafts.

2. Install the timing belt and engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.

A 3/8 inch drive, 10mm, 2 inch torque adapter offset is required to tighten the tensioner bolt.

1. Using a 6mm Allen wrench, adjust the tensioner until the index marks are aligned and tighten the bolt to 17-20 ft. lbs. (22-28 Nm).

2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC alignment peg, then remove the camshaft alignment tool.

3. Remove the TDC peg tool and install the plug bolt.

4. Install the timing and valve covers.

5. Install the water pump pulley and the splash shield.

6. Install the spark plugs.

If the engine or the camshaft were not disturbed in any way, or the sprockets were not removed, perform the following procedure:

1. Install the timing belt and engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 18: Engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 19: ... then use a 6mm Allen wrench to adjust the tensioner until the index marks are aligned

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 20: A 3/8 inch drive, 10mm, 2 inch torque adapter offset is required to tighten the tensioner bolt (arrow)-2.0L DOHC engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 21: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC alignment peg

1. Remove the TDC peg tool and install the plug bolt.

2. Install the timing and valve covers.

3. Install the water pump pulley and the splash shield.

4. Install the spark plugs.

Dont worry about the peg tool in the crank,just make sure the crankshaft keyway is up in the 12 o'clock position,the camshafts need to be held in the proper position,when you turn them over you will see that the camshafts can only line up flat with the rear of the cylinder head in one position,line it up and use something flat and thin enough to keep the cams from turning.Dont forget to take it out before starting!

HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience: 23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
OK - this answered SOME of my question, but my real question was how to remove that rounded star bolt at the end of the timing gear shown on the pictures you sent me of the whole timing gear/belt set up.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.
As I stated, you should not have to disassmble this VCT actuator.But if the bolt is rounded off, you are going to have to make a torx bit fit or cut off the bolt and drill it out and retap it if you need to replace this assembly, it is all sold seperately and the parts are not cheap for the VCT actuator assembly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: It is not rounded off. Maybe I am not explaining it well enough. In your demo illustraion #17 on the top right side there is a star shaped assemble on the timing gear. That is what we are trying to remove. Does it require a special tool? Also are saying for sure that the VCT gear is supposed to be moving a 1/4 of a turn before the cam moves? My brother thinks there is a problem in this gear. He though the gear and the cam move together - exactly. Tell us what to expect. The car just died on the interstate - the timing gear was loose. No other visible problem. My brother has been a mechanic for JEEP for over 30 years and has never seen this type assembly on a timing gear so he is very confused also.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the gear is supposed to move,it is what the vct is,Variable Cam Timing, it will stagger the timing of the exhaust cam when thepcm see's certain inputs/calculates load,do not take it apart.It is controlled by a solenoid and engine oil pressure.No need to take this apart.Sometimes when the timing belt breaks, it sets a VCT code, that is because the cam is not being driven when cranking.Reassemble the timing belt, fire it up and take it for a spin.