AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

ford escort drivng problem, loses power, surges and reving RPMS, then

Customer Question

I have a automatic 1995 ford escort LX. Last summer while doing 70 miles per hr with cruise on I bumped the car into nuetral and then pulled it back into drive with cruise on..Had cruise control problems after that..Then my car started to occasionally, while driving at 55 mpgs or higher, losing power and RPMs power surging. It would do this for several minutes, then engage and drive fine..Or I would park car after running bad and it would start up and drive fine for several days. Now it starts fine, idles fine, but will not drive without losing power,Rpms surging ...If I rock the shifter between N and Drive it will engage sometimes and run fine..I This all started when I bumped the car in Nuetral while doing 70mphs and pulled it back into drive with the cruise on...I quit using the cruies because it would disengage while on or surge ....I am a single mother of 3 andhave only this car do get back and forth to work... I live in the country and drive 30 miles each way to work...I have little money left after rent/bills, food...And I need to get a idea of what is going on, if its fixable, what could be wrong,possible labor hrs, parts cost...I have been takin advantage of before by car repair gargae...and can not afford to again...any information or follow up deeply appreciated..

&nbs p;                        Lost in the woods, Shawna Kinsey
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 years ago.
Greetings! U could have a bad mass air flow sensor. This is very common and can cause you vehicale to loose power along with many other drivabilty issues if the sensor is bad. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine.
The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio.
If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off.
This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) , shift and torque converter clutch scheduling.
Some MAF sensors have Integrated Bypass Technology (IBT) with an integrated Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.
The MAF sensor is located between the air cleaner and the throttle body or inside the air cleaner assembly.

Also I would rec to check the air snorkle between the mass air flow sensor and the throttle boby. This can not have absolutely any crack, rips or tears. If so, air will enter the engine thats not accounted for and cause driveability problems! Because you have described it getting better going from N to D, this tells me that this could be the problem! The engine rocks back and forth when u do this and the mass air flow sensor stays put. The rubber air snorkle takes the hit by expanding and contracting. Look carefully between the ribs on the snorkle. I would even rec to take it off and inspect it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Yesterday 8/1/06 at 2pm,I had the car codes read by a coworker with a code reader, and found out it was only a bad speed control sensor..I have Already fixed the problem with a new $28.00 speed control sensor that just plugged into the end of the trasmission. Car runs better now than when I first bought it 2 yrs ago...thanx for you help anyway, but I fixed this problem already.
             I feel very lucky that's all that was wrong, Shawna Kinsey
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello, I am not accepting or paying for any answers on the question I asked, because the answer I received was wrong, and I already fixed this problem myself...read my reply below...I also want my $15.00 refunded to my visa...Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Kinsey

Yesterday 8/1/06 at 2pm,I had the car codes read by a coworker with a code reader, and found out it was only a bad speed control sensor..I have Already fixed the problem with a new $28.00 speed control sensor that just plugged into the end of the trasmission. Car runs better now than when I first bought it 2 yrs ago...thanx for you help anyway, but I fixed this problem already.