Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  30 year multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist, Ford Bronco builder

Ford F350 air conditioning problem

I have a 2001 Ford F350 supercab 4x4 7.3liter diesel, dually. My air conditioner recently started blowing warm air, then cool air intermittently. Now, a few days later, my air conditioner is simply blowing hot air, doesn't cool at all. The system appears to be functioning correctly, ie the fan blows quite a bit of air (just not "cool" air). Any suggestions??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Basham replied 10 years ago.
First you need to see if the clutch is engaging on the compressor. The system may have a leak and lost its charge. It also could be a bad pressure switch causing the clutch not to engage. I have seen several of these with compressor failures having full charge and clutch engaging but no pressure difference from where the compressor is not compressing.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tim Basham's Post: Tim,

Thank you for the info. Is there a way I can troubleshoot (or test) the pressure switch?

FIrst is to check and see if the compressor is engaging when A/C is on. If it is not then you can jumper the pressure switch and see if the clutch engages. Below are some Diagrams of the wiring circuit involved in the A/C system.

You will be looking for the A/C cycling pressure switch it will be mounted on the accumulator on the passneger side. As you and see there is alot involved in the system but the pressure switch is the common problem on these.

this is the low pressure switch

this is the high pressure switch