autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance, Ford Senior Master Certification
157591

1999 Ford Escort ZX2: I get my second keyless entry fob programmed

I have just purchased a 1999 Ford Escort ZX2, it came with 2 keyless entry fobs, one works and the other needs programming. Where can I get my second keyless entry fob programmed? I have changed the battery twice so thats not the problem. There are lots of places on the internet that will send me programming instructions but I would like Ford's recommendation.

If this helps an accept and feedback would be appreciated.

• A maximum of four keyless entry remote transmitters can be programmed for each Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) module. Programming must be done at the same time for all the transmitters.
  • Before entering the program mode, first verify that the battery is fully charged and that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered (if equipped).
  • Be aware that when entering the program mode, other transmitters pressed within 30 meters (100 ft) of the vehicle may be programmed to the vehicle.

1. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON eight times within ten seconds , ending with ON, or turn the ignition switch from OFF to START four times within 10 seconds , ending with ON.
  2. Press any button on the keyless entry remote transmitter. NOTE: If the RAP module successfully entered the program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors. (For Mexican anti-theft system, it will chirp the horn.)
  3. To program additional transmitters, repeat step 2. NOTE: The door locks will lock and then unlock to acknowledge that the keyless entry remote transmitter has successfully been programmed. (For Mexican anti-theft system, it will chirp the horn.)
  4. When finished programming all transmitters, turn the ignition switch to OFF. NOTE: The door locks will lock and then unlock one last time to indicate the new keyless entry remote transmitters have been programmed and the program mode has been exited. (For Mexican anti-theft system, it will chirp the horn one last time.)
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: We have tried this and it enables one then disables the other, and vice versa, so we still only have one working at a time.
When you go into the programming mode it erases transmitters that are already programmed. As soon as you press the button to program and the door locks lock and unlock do not turn the key off press a button on the second one right away. This will keep the programming of the first one.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to autodoc_2000's Post: My husband left for school, so when he gets home tonight we will try this and let you know if it works. Thanks